Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ben Schlaepfer 74 posts 101 karma points
    Aug 24, 2013 @ 14:58
    Ben Schlaepfer

Document Type with circa 80 properties will not load Edit Content page fully

Hi.

We have a big document type that has circa 80 properties. I expanded it to this level today and at some point the content editor tabbed pages stopped loading properly.

I get tabs for each collection of properties that I set up, but I do not see anything in the main part of thescreenwhere the editors / fields would normally be.

Other document types still load into the content editor UI just fine.

I wondered if there was maximum number of properties that a doc type can handle?

Any thoughts or direction would be very welcome - I am not sure if it's properties,tabs, or something else.

Thanks,

Ben

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Aug 24, 2013 @ 15:37
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ben

What version of Umbraco are you seeing this on?

Do you get any information if you open the browser console? And have you tried checking the umbracoLog table in the database? Or if it's 4.10+ version of Umbraco the log files in the app_data/logs folder?

There may be an issue with handling that many properties on a document and I think that it sounds like something could be simplified in the IA. What are all these properties used for?

/Jan

Aug 24, 2013 @ 15:54
    Ben Schlaepfer

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the quick response!

I am on Umbraco v6.0.6.The last tracelog was written to disk 14th August and this has been working since then.

The browser console - when I load a page and click a few tabs:

Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token - editContent.aspx?id=1222:1618
    1. Uncaught ReferenceError: body_TabView1_tabs is not defined editContent.aspx?id=1222:236
    1. Uncaught ReferenceError: body_TabView1_tabs is not defined editContent.aspx?id=1222:261
    1. Uncaught ReferenceError: body_TabView1_tabs is not defined editContent.aspx?id=1222:231

So it looks like the page content is not rendering? (The markup for all those tabs and properties is not visible in the source).

The doc type calls for many, many properties of a product - technical, mechanical etc.etc. which we then check for blanks and format into detailed spec sheets.

You can see the start of this here:

http://umcoax.azurewebsites.net/connectors/mcx/mcx-50-ohm-crimp-crimp-straight-plug.aspx

Each tab at the bottom of the page contains many properties that we are going to bulk load from Excel. The properties were set up and Richard Soetman's CMS Import tool used to map to the fields.

Any thoughts on working around this - it feels like a data sizing issue when the editor is loaded - but I really have no idea how to address.

Best wishes
    Ben

Aug 24, 2013 @ 16:43
    Ben Schlaepfer

Hi Jan,

A quick update - one of the properties had a title with a hyphen in it -  coaxAS1-AssemblyProcess  - and the Alias was autogenerated with the hypen intact.

This is what stopped the Content Editor loading : when I removed the hyphen from the Alias all was well.

Shame it was the last 4 fields that highlighted the problem, not the first - I manually recreated the entire document type to boil down the problem.

Thanks for your assistance....
    Ben

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Aug 24, 2013 @ 17:58
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ben

Thanks for the update - glad you got it solved.

Weird that it's possible to add a hyphen in the alias since it usually stripts illegal characters...perhaps this should be reported as a bug. But there is a chance that it is actually fixed in 6.0.7 and 6.1.4 though.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft