Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ewout 6 posts 26 karma points
    Oct 05, 2009 @ 15:05
    Ewout

Using Umbraco to create a static HTML site

Hi,

For one of our customers we want to use Umbraco, but the client allows only simple static HTML pages in their hosting environment. Would it be possible to use Umbraco for content management on a staging environment and then push out the generated HTML pages to the hosting environment?

I was hoping to find the generated HTML cache somewhere, but can't seem to find it.

thanks for any help on this,

Ewout

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Oct 05, 2009 @ 15:10
    Rich Green

If you really need to create the site in Umbraco then you could and then just use some software that saves complete sites off as HTML and push this up to your hosting environment.

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Oct 05, 2009 @ 15:38
    Douglas Robar

Umbraco doesn't save the html output of the pages. But you can either crawl a site as Rich suggested (try a google search for 'save website offline' to get some ideas of the tools available), or you could create an event handler that would save an html file on publish. There's an umbraco.tv episode about this and also some info available online.

cheers,
    doug.

• Richard Soeteman 4045 posts 12898 karma points MVP 2x
    Oct 05, 2009 @ 17:45
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Ewout,

I've heard that someone in the states did that, but I think it wil not be easy to do that. If it's a money issue you can also try Nitroserve  in the Netherlands, really cheap hoster. I run 1 simple Umbraco site there http://www.greenrivers.eu/  

Cheers,

Richard

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Oct 05, 2009 @ 18:09
    dandrayne

Sounds like this might not be the best use for umbraco, given the static html resriction.

You could try something like http://www.cushycms.com/. ; Basically you upload a static html site, set a few classes on editable elements and give cushy your ftp details.  Users can then log in to cushyCMS and edit the necessary areas, change photos etc.

Dan

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Oct 05, 2009 @ 23:17
    Aaron Powell

Niels has apparently written a flat-file generator for Umbraco, or at least the prototype code for one. Just a matter of getting it off him.

I don't know if it generates HTML pages or ASPX pages though.

• Stephan Lonntorp 195 posts 212 karma points
    Oct 05, 2009 @ 23:31
    Stephan Lonntorp

Niels flat-file generator uses RenderTemplate, so make sure your site is built with 4.0.1 or later. I tried it a few years back, worked just fine, albeit, you can't have any interaction, since you won't have any server controls handling posted data. It's doable, but not a recommended approach.

• Darren Ferguson 1022 posts 3259 karma points MVP c-trib
    Oct 06, 2009 @ 09:46
    Darren Ferguson

I made this back in 2006:

http://www.darren-ferguson.com/2006/06/05/plugin-to-export-html-from-umbraco.aspx

I have no idea if it would still work, but it should.

I should be able to dig out the source if you want to extend it. There are installation instructions if you extract the zip file.

• Doogie Talons 183 posts 318 karma points
    Oct 06, 2009 @ 10:00
    Doogie Talons

How big ? I did a 10 page site on a server then just cut and paste the out putted source, changed a couple of directory names for the images and css and was done in about 1/2 an hour.

• Ewout 6 posts 26 karma points
    Oct 06, 2009 @ 11:04
    Ewout

everyone,

many thanks for all your ideas and tips! I will investigate the options and let you know my findings.

Ewout

• Danny Summers 22 posts 82 karma points
    Sep 15, 2014 @ 03:15
    Danny Summers

Hey there - did you end up finding a solution for this?

• Alen Jose 8 posts 28 karma points
    Dec 11, 2014 @ 11:09
    Alen Jose

hi All,

I hav a dought about navigation in umbraco. In my site created some pages in umbraco and have some static aspx pages also. Then, How can i navigate from static page to umbraco pages and vice versa? Please give me any suggestion for this problem.

thanks,

alen

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Dec 11, 2014 @ 11:27
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Alen

Please see my response to your own post about the issue here http://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-7/using-umbraco-7/59692-Navigation-to-aspx-page-in-Umbraco?p=0#comment202047

Cheers, Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft