Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jon Bowles 7 posts 27 karma points
    Oct 05, 2009 @ 15:32
    Jon Bowles

Editable membership pages

Using: Umbraco 4.0.2.1
    website has members (people who register to use the site) who each have a small gallery and a personal profile page.
    These members need to be able to login and then create/update their profile pages (name, background info, address etc).
    I dont want to allow these members access to the Umbraco UI, but instead give them forms (seperate pages: update my details etc) to update their information.

I found one article that suggested that this isn't directly available with Umbraco 'out of the box',
    I'd appreciate any suggestions on the best approach, (any basic details on how membership works would be really helpful also - looked, but can't find anything)

Thanks

Jon

• Jannik Nilsson 38 posts 81 karma points
    Oct 06, 2009 @ 09:43
    Jannik Nilsson

You can use someting along these lines:

Member m = Member.GetCurrentMember();
    m.getProperty("name").Value = ctrlTextBoxName.Text;
    m.Save();
    /* Not sure if this is needed for you */
    m.XmlGenerate(new XmlDocument());
    Member.RemoveMemberFromCache(m.Id);
    Member.AddMemberToCache(m);
    Response.Redirect(HttpContext.Current.Request.RawUrl);

I know it's not the '.NET membership' way, but it saves you fiddling with the web.config

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Oct 06, 2009 @ 10:59
    Dirk De Grave

Hi Jon, I've done something similar in the past, so here's an approach (not said it's the best... and other options may exists as well):

"Let user register on site, and upon registering, create gallery/profile pages dynamically using the document api. Make sure to have some templates available for each type of page that gets created dynamically."

Each user gets its own unique gallery/profile page, and templates may check whether current user is logged on, and optionally include extra elements on the template so this member may update his profile or add new images to his gallery.

Basic details on membership... well, umbraco uses standard asp.net membership features! Here's some extra info on the wiki

Hope this helps.

Regards,

/Dirk

Oct 06, 2009 @ 18:50
    Jon Bowles

Thanks for your help Dirk and Jannik - very much appreciated

• skiltz 501 posts 701 karma points
    Oct 06, 2009 @ 20:06
    skiltz

I wrote a project called osMemberControls you can download it from osMemberControls.codeplex.com - It will create an editable profile page which members can edit. 

Oct 08, 2009 @ 15:58
    Jon Bowles

thanks skiltz - I'll take a look

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft