Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• CJ 1 post 21 karma points
    Oct 20, 2013 @ 18:47
    CJ

Evaluating Umbraco versus WordPress

Hello,  

My company has a single dedicated windows 2008 server, and we are planning to move 4 blogs we have hosted on blogger.com and wordpress.com on to our server.

It appears we have narrowed down our options to WordPress and Umbraco.

We are a small company but we do have an in-house developer that is not familar with php, so we are leaning towards Umbraco.  However, we do have the option of hiring an outside party to help us merge and setup these blogs, if that is not cost prohibitive.

We have put down the pros and cons for us for each on our analysis.  WordPress has been recommended as having many plugins that are optimized for SEO.  

Please provide and insight, and if possible answer one or more of the following questions:

Would Umbraco have better performance on our server, rather than WordPress?  (We do not current have MySQL or PHP installed.  We do use MS SQL Server.)

Which version of Umbraco should we install?  If possible, explain why you have this recommendation?

If we were to seek a professional Umbraco consultant to assist us with this project, what would the range we would be looking at cost wise?  (We would be looking for some basic design to match our existing website)  

What would that cost jump to if we asked to include a responsive / adaptive design option?

Thank you sincerely!

We will be reaching out to some companies starting tomorrow to obtain quotes.  We want to execute this project very soon.  Recommended companies welcome, and suggestions on questions to ask.

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Oct 22, 2013 @ 09:08
    Richard Soeteman

My short answer is Wordpress is for blogs for any other situation I would use Umbraco. It's so flexible that you can implement any design (Responsive or not)into Umbraco and make a flexible content structure. This is something where Wordpress is less flexible, you need themes or PHP code to create those extra fields you need. Also performance is taking care of since .net code just scales a bit better than PHP code.

Umbraco was missing an all in one SEO tool indeed, so I wrote one. Might be something for you to check out. http://soetemansoftware.nl/seo-checker

So bottom line, when building blogs use Wordpress otherwise just use Umbraco!

Hope someone else can help you with the hourly rate question, I have no idea what to charge in the US.

Best,

Richard

• Aamir Saeed 3 posts 23 karma points
    Dec 02, 2013 @ 11:53
    Aamir Saeed

@CJ if you need any help with Umbraco you can get in touch with us on twitter @codedesk

Regards

Aamir

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft