This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rasmus Berntsen 215 posts 253 karma points c-trib
    Oct 19, 2009 @ 17:43
    Rasmus Berntsen

Slow publishing (well... Sometimes)

Hey guys!

First of all some basic info:

• Site has around 500 nodes.
    • Umbraco.Config is around 6mb and has around 125.000 lines (according to VS).
    • Umbraco Vers. 4.0.2.1 (Assembly version: 1.0.3441.17657).
    • "Perfect" permission settings

I've been strugling with a question from our client, which I can't seem to solve. Sometimes when he's publishing a node (like 1 out of 5 times), Umbraco has to work for several minutes (yes, minutes!) before it's complete. Other times it's just seconds - as it should be. I can't seem to figure out why it sometimes take minutes and other times it's only seconds. I don't think a medium-sized umbraco solution, as this one, should be causing problems for Umbraco? The server is all good, it's not hitting 100% of CPU usage and the memory seems to be fine too. The frontend runs smooth, no problems there at all.

This is the largest Umbraco site, I've been working on. None of our other Umbraco sites (with 100 nodes or below) has a behaviour like this.

What could be causing this behaviour? Anyone tried something similar?

• Chris Dunn 75 posts 127 karma points
    Oct 19, 2009 @ 17:56
    Chris Dunn

We've had sites with thousands of nodes and no problems like that. Is the wait time literally on the publish....from the clicking of publish to when the "Content Published" message is displayed? Or is the delay on the content appearing on the front end?

-Chris

Oct 19, 2009 @ 18:35
    Rasmus Berntsen

It's from clicking "Save and publish" and till the process is done ("content published"). Everything seems to be working perfect, besides that annoying problem.

Oct 20, 2009 @ 11:42
    Rasmus Berntsen

Update: I've just been talking to our client and the slowdown now seems to be on nothing specific but still from time to time. As he stated it doesn't matter if they're publishing content, changing tabs on a node, loading the content tree etc., sometimes the process just take ages. It's still not everytime, but it comes and goes.

I can't seem to reproduce this behaviour, so it's probably on their end (?). I can tell that Umbraco isn't as fast as it use to be. It takes around 10-15 seconds to load a product node - which has around 70-80 properties incl. three own datatypes (which basically just loads a list of nodes). Yes, it's a 1:1 solution, that's the reason for the numbers of properties on a single node.

A standard node with around 50 nodes (still... It's because of 8 languages on a every single node) takes around 5 seconds from click to complete load.

It sounds a bit weird to me that the problem comes and goes?

• mph 44 posts 78 karma points
    Oct 23, 2009 @ 11:17
    mph

Hi,

I've noticed the same behaviour and in my case the user was on an IE7 and it was consuming more than 200MBs of RAM which caused the slowdown, as soon as the IE was closed and then reopened everything was back to full speed...

You could try to view the memory consumption by the browser next time the problem occours, perhaps that's where the problem is...?

Best regards,

Michael

Oct 28, 2009 @ 15:50
    Rasmus Berntsen

Hi Michael,

Thanks a lot for the answer! That could be the problem, surely. If it is, then there's no way to fix this (except from hoping Umbraco 4.1 uses less RAM), I guess (?).

• Jonas Eriksson 930 posts 1825 karma points
    Nov 06, 2009 @ 11:33
    Jonas Eriksson

Hi, we had problems with long publishing-time because of erroneous smtp-settings, Umbraco tried to send publish-messages to the editors, but could't resolve the smtp-servers ip-address (if I remember correct) therefore each publish took up to 10 seconds. Perhaps not your case, buy may be worth having a look.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft