Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nate 2 posts 22 karma points
    Feb 04, 2014 @ 17:57
    Nate

Sort order duplication in back-office in 6.1.6

I have an issue where users are creating content in the back-office and we're getting duplicate sort order values. This is only an issue in the back office (on the front end display we sort by a different field, and it works as expected).

Here is an example of what it looks like:

duplicate sort order

In this case, the next created item will have sort order 37 and the one after that will be 38. Once we hit 38, the duplicates go away for a while and we get sequential sort order values. Then when it comes up, the new sort orders will start duplicating (from a value several less than what should be next).

Its also worth noting that when the next sort order value falls behind, if I create one, manually sort it to the correct spot and "save" this updates the next value correctly and things sort correctly from then on (until it happens again).

This is happening on Umbraco 6.1.6, and was also happening on Umbraco 6.0.5.

Any thoughts on why this is, what might be causing it, or how to fix it?

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Feb 04, 2014 @ 19:21
    Amir Khan

I've had something like this happen before. If you just open the sort dialog and save without actually sorting anything, does it fix it?

-Amir

• Nate 2 posts 22 karma points
    Feb 04, 2014 @ 19:30
    Nate

It does remove the duplicates; however, the order is the same. In other words, it went through and updated the sort order values to match what was in the list. No duplicates, but Test 3 and Test 4 remain in place. New items are now added to the end; but I'd really like to find out what causes this to prevent it from happening in the future.

• khm1985 8 posts 54 karma points
    Mar 21, 2014 @ 14:28
    khm1985

I have observed the same behaviour. When I do the sort using Google Chrome (at this point version 33.0.1750.154 m), it sorts the nodes correctly and does not create duplicates of the nodes sorter order number.

But my client is using Windows 7 with Internet Explorer 9, and the art director of the advertising agency is using Safari on Mac I think.

Would be great to know if it is a browser issue leading to a potential bug i version 6.1.6 of Umbraco :)

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 21, 2014 @ 14:31
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi guys

Don't know if the issue you're seeing could be related to the one mentioned about the media section here? http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/47047-Duplicate-media-nodes-when-updating-from-umbraco-3-to-umbraco-6

I vaguely remember I've seen this before and I also think it got solved somehow.

Will try to digg a little more to see if I can remember.

/Jan

• khm1985 8 posts 54 karma points
    Mar 21, 2014 @ 14:45
    khm1985

Hi Jan,

thanks for mentioning the problem with upgrading vs. sort IDs :)

The website I am working on started out as version 6.0.4 as far as I remember. Could there be a chance this is a regression bug?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft