Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Doug Clark 30 posts 52 karma points
    Mar 14, 2014 @ 17:27
    Doug Clark

Debilitatingly slow

I've gone throughout the forums looking for answers to our issues, but I'm not finding a definitative solution. We are using version 4.9.0 for a college website. We reached a point in the administrative back-end where one of the top level nodes on the content tree has stopped loading any child nodes. It just times out. Also, we've noticed a significant slowdown in the overall system.

We tried creating indexes on some of the SQL tables: cmsContent, cmsContentVersion, cmsDocument. Didn't help. I also thought that perhaps the cmsContentVersion table was way to big. We tried running scripts we found on the forum to remove old versions, but in our test environment that ended up making the entire backend inaccessible.

There are people in the forums who say they have 5000+ node websites running with no problem. We aren't that big yet, but seem to have debilitating issues the longer this site is in use.

Is there a "best practices" for scalability of Umbraco? How can we improve our site's performance and get things like the content tree to load every time?

Thanks!

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Mar 14, 2014 @ 18:05
    Ismail Mayat

Doug,

Are you using any custom data types on your document types? Also have you at some point removed fields from document types?

Regards

Ismail

Mar 14, 2014 @ 18:08
    Doug Clark

Yes. We have several custom data types. We have removed and added fields to doc types as necessary. But in those instances when we alter a doc type that has published nodes, we know that we often need to flush the XML cache and reindex the entire site.

Mar 14, 2014 @ 18:12
    Ismail Mayat

Doug,

Your custom data types what kind of stuff do they do? Also do you have a staging or dev instance of the site and does that load ok? One thing does your media section load ok?

Regards

Ismail

Mar 14, 2014 @ 20:55
    Doug Clark

Ismail,

Thanks for your help, btw. We use custom data types primarily for checkbox lists and the multi-node-tree-picker. We periodically refresh our dev instance to mirror our production site. We are in the process of doing that now to test if the content tree loads. In the past, we haven't had problems with our dev site...but it also isn't hit and administered as much as production.

Also, on both sites, our media section loads slow too.

Mar 17, 2014 @ 10:36
    Ismail Mayat

Doug,

Try running sql profiler on the db then see where its slowing down. I have similar issues on one site see http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/49016-Server-issues I am still trying to get to the bottom of it.

Regards

Ismail

Mar 17, 2014 @ 11:41
    Ismail Mayat

Doug,

See last post here http://forums.iis.net/t/1203354.aspx?IIS+8+Application+Pool+Hogs+Memory i just followed step 2 and its brought down memory by a gig.

Regards

Ismail

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft