Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Francielle Castilhos 28 posts 150 karma points
    Apr 15, 2014 @ 14:52
    Francielle Castilhos

v.6.1.6 too slow?

Hi guys,

We are currently with a client's site using v.6.1.6 and hosted in Azure. We also have a client using v.4 also hosted on Azure. I could see that Umbraco backend takes quite some time to load on version 6.1.6, even if the server configuration is the same for both.

Has anyone noted something like that?

• Kevin Lawrence 183 posts 350 karma points
    Apr 15, 2014 @ 16:42
    Kevin Lawrence

Sorry I don't have an answer but we are running v6.1.6 on Azure (Large VM App server) and have also noticed the back-end is rather slow, however I can't compare that to a v4 instance.

I'm guessing that the Examine indexing plays a part to a certain degree.

Apr 15, 2014 @ 18:46
    Francielle Castilhos

Hi Kevin, 

We are using one small vm with 6 instances for the site using v.6.1.6 and one small vm with 5 instances for the one running v.4.

The backend is completely slow, it is quite worrying. I'm creating some properties on a doc type and sometimes it is taking 60+ seconds to save.

Unfortunately we cannot afford to move the application to a medium or large instance :/

Apr 15, 2014 @ 20:10
    Kevin Lawrence

HI Francielle

Are you using SQL Azure as well?  Depending how busy those sites are I would say a Small VM is certainly on the lower end of the scale that you want, it all depends how many editors and how frequently the back-end is being used.

Kev

Apr 15, 2014 @ 20:48
    Francielle Castilhos

Hi Kev.

Thanks for your reply. We are currently with 2 editors and using SQL Azure. I think this is the major difference from the v.4 website, as the backend was not used that much. I've been reading other topics where they say that using many instances of a small machine won't do much, I should use a larger one.

I'll change it to Medium and see how it goes.

• Rusty Swayne 1655 posts 4993 karma points c-trib
    Apr 15, 2014 @ 20:51
    Rusty Swayne

HI Francielle,

I the 6.1.6 site been upgraded from a 4.x version? I know some of the refactoring of the old Document API (if that is being used) can really slow things down.

Apr 15, 2014 @ 20:53
    Francielle Castilhos

Hi Rusty,

No, it was a clean install.

Apr 15, 2014 @ 21:58
    Kevin Lawrence

Hi Francielle

Based on what you've said I would say your bottleneck is SQL Azure, bare in mind it does have its limits.  If you only have max 2 people editing 5 instances then you shouldn't be experiencing major issues, obviously another factor is the size of the umbraco databases, which operations are slowest and how high the traffic demands are on that small instance.

I've edited sites on Extra Small instances backed off SQL Azure and they are fine, however they are very low-traffic sites.

Kev

Apr 30, 2014 @ 21:32
    Francielle Castilhos

Hi guys,

I finally found out a reason my backend was really slow.

One of my nodes has several properties that use an XPath datatype, this data type gets nodes of a certain type to be selected. The problem is that the number of nodes that the datatype had to go through increases everyday, which ends up slowing the rendering of the edit page of my content.

I had to change my structure, and now everything is back to normal.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft