Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• mc 19 posts 39 karma points
    Nov 10, 2009 @ 20:04
    mc

intranet

Hi
    Just wondering if somone can help me with a few questions:

1. Looking to replace an intranet with umbraco. Features include AD integration, allow users to post content to their departmental section. I take this this is all possible with umbraco?

2. First task is to create a helpdesk application. I will be looking to integrate this into the above intranet in the future. Is this easy to do and how should I create my app so it's easier to integrate?
    Thanks for help.....

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Nov 10, 2009 @ 20:37
    jaygreasley

hey,

sounds like a cool project.

Yes you can use AD for your members (users) authentication.

For the helpdesk app, I think you have a few options (depending on the complexity).

1. Develop it as a .net user control

2. Develop it using umbraco doctypes to represent a 'call' etc

3. Write a straight asp.net app and run it in a subdir of the umbraco dir

will be interested in how it progresses

jay 

Nov 10, 2009 @ 20:47
    mc

thanks for the tips. It's more of a support desk to allow users to sumbit issues to i.t., helpdesk was a little missleading, sorry.

If i run it in a SubDir which appeals, how would it fit into the style of the umbraco intranet? I would want it to sit inside the intranet and not have an external link that opens up another window.... would this be possible? or would it need to be done as .net user control? If so, would the one app be one huge user control contains the entire support desk application?

Thanks.

Nov 10, 2009 @ 21:07
    jaygreasley

the subdir way would be a separate app so although it could still use iis auth it would need to be styled separately. so not great but it does mean you can run existing apps within an umbraco iis site.

if it is a fairly simple helpdesk and not huge volume you could do it all in umbraco. having said that, there may be more experienced devs who recommend against that for various reasons. (data lock-in etc). 

A thought just occurred to me though, check out the new Umbraco Contour product as this may lend itself nicely to doing this in Umbraco... 

Nov 10, 2009 @ 21:22
    mc

hmmm, I had a look at the contour product and it looks like you need to be a pro member to get it or you an purchase it once it's fully completed. So this isn't an option.

I think I'll keep it as a separate app for now. Thanks.

Nov 10, 2009 @ 21:39
    jaygreasley

it's worth looking at how Contour works (ie custom section) as this could be a way of doing it yourself.

Contour is quite reasonably priced (99 euro for the rest of this year I think) so it may save you time/money in the long run.

But a separate app gives you more flexibility, you could always redevelop as a user control and fully integrate at a later date

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Nov 10, 2009 @ 21:57
    Dirk De Grave

Hi mc,

I'm not sure whether umbraco is the best fit for this kind of apps (helpdesk/ticketing system). I don't see the advantage in using it, altho I'd also consider it when you've got a low volume of issues being submitted to your it department. And a ticketing/issue system really needs more than versioning of content, it requires quite some workflow which may become quite complex in some situations.

Bottom line: if workflow management isn't really too complex and you've got a low volume, I would consider umbraco as your platform of development, otherwise I'd look into more advanced saas ticketing apps such as zendesk or many others out there.

Just my 0.02$

Cheers,

/Dirk

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft