Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• mc 19 posts 39 karma points
    Nov 12, 2009 @ 23:21
    mc

umbraco

I'm still looking to convinced about umbraco being the best framework for building any app you want.... i'm hoping you guys can help me out here....

I've been using drupal for the past year or so and have found it very flexible and more of an application framework where you can build any app ontop using the framwork api. for example A "IT Helpdesk" module can be coded using the framework .....

I'm slowly moving away from drupal as I want to find a asp.net cms/framwork thats similar........ after alot of research it appears umbrao is the most flexible and you can build any system with it.

As i've started playing around all the content seems to be  rendered as xslt, so if you want to build an application ontop of umbraco with conditional logic etc it would be very difficult? unless you built it as a seperate app but then that defeates the purpose of building ontop of the framework as my app would hav a different look & feel and would although sit inside the umbraco folder structure, the actual application wouldn't be apart of the umbraco CMS/framework?

For exmaple, is it possible to write a .net app ontop of umbraco using umbraco document types and permissions and rendering using gridviews and having conditional logic on the pages etc like a full blown asp.net application that is integrated into umbraco?
    Thanks in advance....

• Ricky Beard 61 posts 116 karma points
    Nov 12, 2009 @ 23:43
    Ricky Beard

You bet! You can place any .NET logic and controls (gridviews, etc.) you wish to use inside user controls, then add them to your templates via macros.

• mc 19 posts 39 karma points
    Nov 12, 2009 @ 23:56
    mc

Thanks Ricky.

Ok so explain how I would do the following:

Page one: I have a list of Clients in a gridview and I have a menu to the left for ADD/EDIT/Search.....

2. Clicking on a Client takes me to the Client Details Screen. On this screen I can Add a Complaint against this client (this takes me to the add complaints form), I can also Add projects against this Client (this takes me to the add projects screen)

How would I achive this in umbraco? If all this would be done via usercontorls, would it not get very messy and a nightmare to maintain?

Thanks for your help!

• Ricky Beard 61 posts 116 karma points
    Nov 13, 2009 @ 02:19
    Ricky Beard

I wouldn't call it a nightmare, but it can require a few more steps than a stand alone .NET app (create macro, create content node or template, add macro to content node or template).  However, to accomplish what you want, you would simply use .ascx files instead of the .aspx files you would use in a stand alone app. Then you could add these to your content tree via one generic document type, so there really wouldn't be much extra effort.

Plus, things like URL rewriting, membership capabilities, caching and a hundred other common, but time usually consuming features are already properly implemented in Umbraco. I say just give it a try and see what you think. I'm betting you'll love it.

• Paul 2 posts 22 karma points
    Sep 22, 2010 @ 11:41
    Paul

If anyone's usure whether to use drupal or umbraco, here's the article with my general thoughts on both:

http://blue-and-orange.net/umbraco-vs-drupal.html

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft