Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Jul 03, 2014 @ 19:19
    Nicholas Westby

Preview XML Doesn't Work for All Nodes - Bug?

If I save a node (without publishing), I can preview it fine. However, if I save a child node (displayed in a parent page using the API), the preview does not show that latest save.

When I preview a page, Umbraco creates an XML file in the ~/App_Data/preview folder. However, looking at that file, it seems child pages (or any page except the previewed page, really) aren't showing the latest saved content.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, as I'm not sure how preview is supposed to work, but it seems like preview should show all the latest content, rather than just for a particular node. Without this ability, there is a whole lot that users can't preview (any complex content, such as slideshows).

Should I submit this as a bug or a feature request?

EDIT: According to these comments, all nodes should be getting previewed, so I'm thinking this is a bug: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-359

"descendants are already available and ancestors were just added" -Sebastiaan Janssen

Jul 03, 2014 @ 19:52
    Nicholas Westby

Thinking about it some more, this seems like a bug, so I submitted a bug report: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-5182

To elaborate somewhat, there are many places content can be defined other than the current node and that may show up when viewing the page for the current node. One example is a slideshow, which I create as a child node (containing several slide nodes). Another example is creating picked content shared by multiple pages. Another example is content that is like a setting (applies to many pages, but no picker). There are some other scenarios, but the point is that there are many places content can be stored and I have used these techniques heavily an all the Umbraco sites I've built, so it definitely seems like preview should show all of the latest content.

• Nirmit 24 posts 97 karma points
    Nov 25, 2015 @ 16:04
    Nirmit

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I am facing same issue in 7.2.4.

Have you found any solution/work around to this problem?

Thanks.

Nov 25, 2015 @ 17:34
    Nicholas Westby

Nope, I've just accepted this deficiency as a part of Umbraco.

It would be awesome if somebody submitted a pull request that allowed a user to select the nodes they want to preview when they click the preview button. I'm not holding my breath though.

One "workaround" would be to create a staging environment and test the change there by actually publishing the content rather than clicking the preview button.

Nov 25, 2015 @ 20:01
    Nicholas Westby

FYI, I just did a test in Umbraco 7.3.1, and it seems that at least descendant nodes are included in the preview. I have not tried it yet with other nodes that are neither ancestors nor descendants.

One workaround would be to click "Preview" on one of the other nodes, but then navigate to the actual page you are interested in. I have not tried this, so I'm not sure if it will work.

Nov 25, 2015 @ 20:47
    Nicholas Westby

FYI, though the YouTrack issue was not updated, this appears to have been fixed.

I just did a test by rendering some data from a node that was neither an ancestor nor a descending (it was a sibling in this case), and I saved that content rather than publishing it. When I preview, that unpublished content appears as I would hope. I even made a subsequent edit that I again saved without publishing and refreshed the preview page (without again clicking the "preview" button), and it was immediately reflected on the website.

Long story short, previewing in Umbraco 7.3.1 appears to show the latest saved content from across the entire site, regardless of the node you clicked "Preview" on.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft