Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Daniel Howell 21 posts 42 karma points
    Jul 08, 2014 @ 09:54
    Daniel Howell

Umbraco database very large for small website (over 8GB in size!) cmsDocument table generating new rows every minute

We have an umbraco 6 installation where the umbraco database is over 8GB in size.

This site is made up of only 62 pages. I have gone into the cmsDocument table, which has over 500,000 rows and done a group by nodeId. This shows that there are half a dozen pages that have approx 80000 - 100000 rows associated with them.

Having a close look at one of them shows that a new row is being created Every MINUTE. As a result, the cmsPropertyData table has over 11 million rows. What is going on here!? Has anyone seen this before?

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    Jul 08, 2014 @ 09:58
    Stefan Kip

Somewhere in the code of the website a node is created every minute called 'Refunds'. This should ring a bell for you / the website builder. Has got nothing to do with umbraco itself, but with custom code.

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jul 08, 2014 @ 10:17
    Ismail Mayat

Daniel,

Do you have some kind of blog or user comments functionality that creates umbraco nodes? If so you may be getting spammed by bots.

Regards

Ismail

Jul 09, 2014 @ 02:05
    Daniel Howell

@kipusoep Uh... As the developer, yes, I do believe I would remember writing code that creates a new node every minute... why I would want to do this I have no idea. But I have entertained your idea and searched the code for places where I am creating nodes - and I am not doing this anywhere. There are no scheduled tasks running (either umbraco or windows), yet every 60 seconds (while the site is running), new nodes get created.

@Ismail - No we don't have any such functionality on the site.

Here's an interesting piece of information: There are only 5 nodes experiencing this problem, and these are the ONLY NODES on the site where the nodeUser field in the umbracoNode table is "2" (which is the ID of a user with Administrator permissions). So the problem must have something specific to do with this user account - or the fact that this user created these nodes. I've 

To me, this definitely looks like a bug with umbraco - maybe something specific to version 6.0.0, but a bug nonetheless.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some more screenshots:

cmsDocument table showing count of nodes

cmdDocument table showing same 5 nodes created every minute

umbracoNode table showing same 5 nodes with nodeUser = 2

Jul 09, 2014 @ 04:21
    Daniel Howell

So I have tested deleting and re-creating one of the nodes as the admin user, and the problem is gone for that node.

So, if anyone can shed any light on why this is happening specifically for nodes created by a particular user, let me know.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft