Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• elena 5 posts 25 karma points
    Nov 29, 2009 @ 19:31
    elena

Recommended version of Visual Studio for umbraco

Hello!

I'm a newbie in Umbraco and I wonder which is the most recommended version of visual studio for umbraco? 2005 professional or 2008?

• Chris Houston 535 posts 980 karma points MVP admin c-trib
    Nov 29, 2009 @ 19:42
    Chris Houston

Hi,

You can use either but I would recommend using VS 2008 as it's a better tool.

Cheers,

Chris

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Nov 29, 2009 @ 20:10
    Dirk De Grave

Hi Elena,

Go for 2008, as umbraco goes full .net 3.5 (which vs.net 2005 does not support.) from version v4.1

(Btw, you don't really need vs.net to get started with umbraco)

Cheers,

/Dirk

Nov 29, 2009 @ 21:13
    elena

Thank you both for your immediate answer!

Dirk, what would you recommend me to get started with umbraco? Is, for example, Umbraco Developertool 0.2 appropriate for getting started?

Cheers,

Elena

• Chris Houston 535 posts 980 karma points MVP admin c-trib
    Nov 29, 2009 @ 22:48
    Chris Houston

Hi Elena,

It depends on your experience, you can actually create complete sites all within Umbraco, but as soon as you want to build more advanced functionality you will need visual studio. It is also useful for debugging your XSLT files as you can use VS to step through XSLT files which you cannot do directly within the Umbraco interface.

If you have never used Umbraco before it is a good idea to install one of the starter kits like Warren's package or the Runway package, both of these will install a simple website which you can then see how they are built using Umbraco's document types and XSLT files.

Cheers,

Chris

Nov 29, 2009 @ 23:28
    elena

You are very helpful! I'm totally a newbie in Umbraco, so I've already installed the runway package. I intend to use VS 2008 (after all of the advice above) and I hope that everything will work fine!

Thanks,

Elena

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft