Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ahmed Ilyas 7 posts 27 karma points
    Sep 09, 2014 @ 11:56
    Ahmed Ilyas

null reference exception in umbraco

Hi all.

not sure where to go.

on our "test" site, everything works fine but locally for some reason, not so much. I think the files and umbraco DB are the same but we dont want to replace any work we have done locally with the working files on the test site and to be frank, the files/website we have been working on locally do not have any relevance to this particular area.

we are using version 6 of umbraco (6.0.4 I think)

Problem: when we navigate to a particular area on our website in umbraco, we always get null reference exception in umbraco and no idea why! this is the stack trace:

2014-09-09 10:33:57,611 [10] ERROR Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase - [Thread 17] An unhandled exception occurred
    System.Web.HttpUnhandledException (0x80004005): Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.property.Property..ctor(Property property)
       at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.Content.b__e(Property x)
       at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectEnumerableIterator`2.MoveNext()
       at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.InsertRange(Int32 index, IEnumerable`1 collection)
       at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.AddRange(IEnumerable`1 collection)
       at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.Content.InitializeProperties()
       at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.Content.EnsureProperties()
       at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.Content.getProperty(String alias)
       at umbraco.controls.ContentControl.LoadPropertyTypes(IContentTypeComposition contentType, TabPage tabPage, Hashtable inTab, Int32 tabId, String tabCaption)
       at umbraco.controls.ContentControl.CreateChildControls()
       at System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls()
       at umbraco.controls.ContentControl.OnInit(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index)
       at System.Web.UI.ControlCollection.Add(Control child)
       at umbraco.cms.presentation.editContent.OnInit(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
       at ASP.umbraco_editcontent_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\b7df2b37\bb7d2503\App_Web_editcontent.aspx.5f2dec3.rm-plzey.0.cs:line 0
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

How can I figure out what is going on and why umbraco is showing this exception?

On the test site - no such problem.

UPDATE: I have narrowed it down to be possibly a particular template/document type but no idea what the problem is. The template both looks the same on the locally site compared to the Test site (test site is the one that works). I have even republished it but no go.

When running/browsing to the page, I see the null reference exception because the property being referenced (a dynamic property) does not appear to exist locally. I dont know if this is what the actual cause is for umbraco to throw the same exception but it is quite wierd.

I cannot navigate to the pages in question using that document type as it throws the null reference exception.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft