Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Marden 235 posts 338 karma points MVP c-trib
    Sep 30, 2014 @ 16:34
    Paul Marden

Site is constantly generating login queries to db

I've got an Umbraco 6.1.6 site that is running with a large number of members loaded into it.  We've been seeing poor database performance for a while, but it seems now I'm doing some tracing that at times when the database is under most load (with little traffic on the site) that something is constantly querying the database with user login queries.

So for example I ran a trace earlier for about 5 seconds.  During that time the following statements were executed against the database 549 times:

• exec sp_executesql N'select count(nodeID) as tmp from cmsMember where LoginName = @loginName',N'@loginName nvarchar(30)',@loginName=N'r*********x@*********.ac.uk'
    • exec sp_executesql N'SELECT Email, LoginName, Password FROM cmsMember WHERE nodeId=@nodeId',N'@nodeId int',@nodeId=14545
    • exec sp_executesql N'SELECT id, createDate, trashed, parentId, nodeObjectType, nodeUser, level, path, sortOrder, uniqueID, text FROM umbracoNode WHERE id = @id',N'@id int',@id=14545
    • exec sp_executesql N'select nodeID from cmsMember where LoginName = @loginName',N'@loginName nvarchar(24)',@loginName=N'r*********x@*********.ac.uk'
    Obviously at different times differnt logins will appear, sometimes this same group of statements execute for multiple different logins over, and over again.
    Any ideas what could be causing this?
  • Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Sep 30, 2014 @ 17:38
    Ismail Mayat

Paul,

Is this on an extranet?  We had site which was doing crazy stuff, the dev was newing up a member eachtime on the page he wanted to write anything about the member after they had logged in, also it was being hit by alot of members in fact the whole site bar the home page was an extranet.

Regards

Ismail

• Paul Marden 235 posts 338 karma points MVP c-trib
    Sep 30, 2014 @ 17:42
    Paul Marden

That makes a lot of sense Ismail -- it's used by all staff as an intranet, and also by most customers as an extranet.  

That doesn't explain why it's doing it 500 for the same user in 5 seconds, though does it?

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Oct 01, 2014 @ 10:28
    Ismail Mayat

Paul,

Take a look at the code and see where you are getting Member via the api and writing out member data.  Also take a look at access to a member edit page so are people saving their data regularly?  I would look at replacing the get member code via api to get member via examine it will be alot quicker.

Regards

Ismail

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft