Press Ctrl / CMD + C to copy this to your clipboard.
This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at
I have a site that has been in production for approximately 2 years. This morning it I discovered that it wasn't working. The component of Umbraco that makes virtual pages work (i.e. the requested page doesn't actually exist; Umbraco handles the url request and gets the data from the databae, builds the page,etc doesn't work; I am getting 404 errors.
Naturally, the hosting support company (Go Daddy) has no clue and claims that no changes have been made to the server.Since the content doesn't actually exist in the file system, they say "well, it doesn't exist in the file system so that is your issue ...." -- which isn't my real problem, since it NEVER existed.
My local copy of the site works perfectly.
This is a needle in the haystack. I don't know where to begin to look to troubleshoot the issue.
Any assistance in troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.
Can you log into the backend and do a full republish and update the cache?
I have tried the following:
- Recycle the app pool (4-5 times)
- Delete and rebublish site (2 times)
The site is currently generating the home page on when I try to access a page that "doesn't exist". I have commented out the <error404> node in the umbracoSettings.config file and the home page is still getting rendered on 404's.
I removed the node <notFound assembly="umbraco" type="handle404"/> from the 404handles.config, but behavior of rending the home page continues.
Is there another place where 404 error handling happens?
Can anyone direct me to a general page that would help me understand how umbraco works under the covers? If I could understand the request chain handling better I would at least be able to look in a less random way.
Desperate in the US
When you say delete and republish how did you do that?
When i asked you to republish i wanted you to right click on "Content" above the content tree and select republish entire site.
if that didnt work then right click the home node and select publish and then select publish all child pages (but not unpublished ones).
Also can you check there is nothing funny going on with hostnames and be 100% sure that the dns is pointing to that site (sounds daft but its happened in my experience)
See how you go with those.
And also is this single server? - no load balancing involved?
If all that fails please describe what you have done with respect to urlrewriting as denoyed in the post title.
So it turns out this issue was not a urlrewritting issue at all.
My site, which is hosted at GoDaddy.com, -- had been hacked. The default.aspx in the root directory had been replaced. Although the site home page *looked* the same, the it was a copy that a hidden set of links in a div at the bottom.
I repalced default.aspx with the original and the problem was solved.
Crazy waste of time.
Thanks for your help.
Thats an interesting one!
Hope you have changed all your passwords for you hosting and ftp accounts. :)
And also your email where you got your registration sent to for the site - just incase.
Glad its sorted anyway...
Also dont forget to mark your post as the answer so people can find it if it happens to them in future.
is working on a reply...
Write your reply to:
Image will be uploaded when post is submitted