Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• karen 186 posts 461 karma points
    Nov 04, 2014 @ 22:35
    karen

Slow site - any suggestions?

I have a new site up on shared hosting. It runs very fast on my local pc, but ridiculously slow on the host (seekdotnet.com). Runs fast on my pc even when I connect to the database on the host server. Everything takes long, any page, backend etc. Just now clicking the 'about' button to get the umbraco version takes 10+ seconds for the popup to appear. The homepage takes longest each time. Sometimes over a minute to load a page. 

It's running Umbraco v6.2.2 (Assembly version: 1.0.5350.26600)

Site is here:   http://hearlistenlearn.com/

It's using MVC razor templates with 1 master view, 2 sub views for home and interior pages. 2 xslt macros (top and footer nav), everything else is inline in the razor to generate stuff (heroes, content, right side tabs, footer accordian,

I think it is the hosting company. I put a support ticket in and am waiting to hear back. But I am worried they will say it is my site since it is running Umbraco or something along those lines, want to make sure it wasn't something else. 

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 05, 2014 @ 07:32
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Karen

Does your webhost promote that they support Umbraco websites? If not their server configuration might not be ideal for running Umbraco at all.

But perhaps you can get some hints by looking in the /app_data/logs file on your server and see if it throws any errors or warnings perhaps?

Do you have more than one connectionstring in your web.config btw?

/Jan

Nov 06, 2014 @ 16:48
    karen

Hi - Yes they do support Umbraco. I have another site running there that is sometimes slow, but not AS slow (and running Umbraco 4) but I just assume it is because of yypical shared hosting slowless.  I am not sure there exists a shared hosting service that will load anything very quickly.

They finally responsded to my support ticket and said they cleaned up a bunch of database logs (We've truncated/shrinked your database log file to speed up your website. ), but said mainly it is because of shared hosting and high usage on the server and the only way to make it go faster is to get a dedicated server. (which is a few hundred $$ a month verses just a few $)

After they shrunk the db log file, it does seem to load faster.

As for errors - none and just 1 connectionstring.

Not sure anything to be done I guess.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 06, 2014 @ 17:35
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Karen

Ok, does indeed sound like a hosting issue. Which host is it? Perhaps there are some better alternatives maybe?

/Jan

• Mark Bennett 199 posts 375 karma points
    Nov 06, 2014 @ 17:44
    Mark Bennett

Hi Karen,

I've just looked at the site and it all came up nice and quickly for me? no speed issues at all?

Might be worth asking a few friends to test it and see if it slow for them.

Cheers,
    Mark.. 

• Steve Morgan 1345 posts 4452 karma points c-trib
    Nov 06, 2014 @ 19:10
    Steve Morgan

Yes-  nice and quick here (UK) but I think you're talking about the Umbraco admin backend, right?

Nov 06, 2014 @ 19:19
    karen

No - was talking about front end and back end.

But the hosts admins said they did something (cleaned up log files) and that did make it a lot faster.

So maybe that was it.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

• John Palmer 76 posts 201 karma points
    Nov 18, 2014 @ 07:04
    John Palmer

Have you contact their support team about this issue? May I know how long have you been with them? You said that previously it was working perfectly. Are you sure it is not your code problem? For other umbraco hosting recommendation, you may check asphostportal.com

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft