Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rik Helsen 670 posts 873 karma points
    Nov 27, 2014 @ 10:15
    Rik Helsen

Old content reappearing on old Umbraco website

Hello, i'm trying to troubleshoot an issue we have on an older Umbraco website built in umbraco v 4.5.2

• Customer reported that when they updated a page, sometimes they would briefly see old content reappear on the page.

I put some content (text: 'monitortestcontent' in the pagebody of a page, published the page, removed the content, and published again.

Then I configured a monitoring tool to check if the word appears on the website.

For some strange reason, the content appears on the website at random moments, for one more pageloads, and then automatically reverts back to the newer version

• in the umbraco.config XML cache, i was never able to spot the old content (so newer version is written to disk cache (by the time we go and look, the new content is in place, old content nowhere to be seen)
    • in the backend, only the new version is visible when editing the page
    • the page is not being edited or changed at all during the monitoring
    • server is not load balanced

I can't upgrade the website easily because it uses a lot of .NET 2.0 components, thus Umbraco 4.5.2 is the most recent version supporting .NET 2.0

Any suggestions on what might be causing this?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 27, 2014 @ 10:33
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Rik

Is caching setup on the macro used for generating the rich text content?

/Jan

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Nov 27, 2014 @ 10:38
    Jeroen Breuer

I know that Umbraco 4.5 had some issues where the content cache can't be created on startup if SQL server is unavailable: 

http://blog.darren-ferguson.com/2010/11/2/working-around-the-no-nodes-issue-with-umbraco-45x/

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/ourumb-dev-forum/bugs/13649-Site-repeatedly-reverting-to-no-nodes-splash-page?p=0

Maybe it's related to that.

Jeroen

Nov 27, 2014 @ 11:27
    Rik Helsen

IT's not outputted using a Macro, it's a plain field being outputted into a template:

I did a filecontent search on the appdata folder, and found a lucene index of this page that still contains the old string in www.desingel.be\App_Data\TEMP\ExamineIndexes\

This suprises me a little bit, for two reasons:

• Page was updated more than a week ago, index should be rebuilt?
    • Lucene isn't used in the page generation lifecycle is it?

So how does it show up?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 27, 2014 @ 11:30
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Rik

Aaah, yeah that's weird. Not sure how Examine works in 4.5 though.

But have you checked the umbracoLog table to see if it reveals anything about the issue? Not sure there is any but worth the try though.

/Jan

Nov 27, 2014 @ 15:15
    Rik Helsen

btw, i'm able to ship a quality 75cl bottle of belgian beer to whoever helps me find the source of this issue

Dec 03, 2014 @ 17:34
    Rik Helsen

in one case it was being caused by having multiple worker processes for the app pool, each with their own cache.

In this case however there was only 1 worker process, we moved the site to a different server and the problem hasn't occured since.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft