Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Dec 11, 2014 @ 18:24
    Jeroen Breuer

Umbraco website sometimes slow

Hello,

I've got an Umbraco website which is running on 6.2.4 and from time to time it's really slow. Both in frontend of the website as in the Umbraco backoffice. There is nothing in the logs to be found. There is nothing in our custom code which could make it slow. 

Any suggestions in how I could research this? Is it possible to enable miniprofiler in the backoffice?

Jeroen

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Dec 11, 2014 @ 18:27
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Jeroen,

Which version of Umbraco ? And how is your server doing with CPU and memory when the site is slow ?

Dave

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Dec 11, 2014 @ 18:36
    Jeroen Breuer

I'm running Umbraco 6.2.4. I've upgraded from 6.1.6 because that was already slow, but 6.2.4 still has the same problem. I haven't checked if the CPU goes up. Will do that :-).

Jeroen

• John A 20 posts 44 karma points
    Dec 11, 2014 @ 20:49
    John A

Hi Jeroen,

How many content nodes in your implementation? Are we talking tens, hundreds or thousands of nodes? What is your backend storage? I'm assuming your data is stored on a separate SQL Server and not SQL CE.. but would like to hear more detail on that.

Since you're going to monitor CPU, Memory and Disk IO during slow times, I don't think it would hurt to run a profile trace on your SQL instance to try and find any bottlenecks or table scans caused by any inefficient queries.

John

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Dec 11, 2014 @ 22:30
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Jeroen,

Just a couple of ideas:

Doing any crazy iterating in XSLT files? Maybe using the double-slash (descendant::) axis more than a couple of places?

Other posts to look at (if it's the XSLT):

/Chriztian

• Bo Damgaard Mortensen 719 posts 1207 karma points
    Dec 11, 2014 @ 22:38
    Bo Damgaard Mortensen

Can also add to Chriztians ideas:

• Any .Descendants() calls in a huge content tree?
    • How much ram does the SQL server eat up? (silly question, really as it eats up what it can..)
    • I'm sure you're using the UmbracoHelper (and thereby IPublishedContent) to query the content tree and not the ContentService (?) ;-)
    • Any crazy-crazy-large examine indexes?
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft