Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Dec 23, 2014 @ 23:34
    Nicholas Westby

Where Does Umbraco Store "Public Access" Member Permissions?

I have a content node that is demonstrating two different permissions when I access it from different machines that are set to share the same database. On the staging machine, I see this when I right click on my node and click "Public access":

enter image description here

And on my local machine, I see this:

I deleted the App_Data folders (ClientDependency, ExamineIndexes, PluginCache, FileUploads) and the umbraco.config before restarting the app pool on both environments, yet the environments still differ.

If the permissions were stored in the database, I'd expect them to always be updated. And if they were in the typical caches or in-memory, I'd expect them to be updated when I deleted the caches and restarted the app pool.

Where is this permission information stored?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 23, 2014 @ 23:48
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Nicholas

In your /App_Data/ folder is there then an access.config file? Unless something has changed with the release of v7.2 these settings are written to this file. So it's not saved in the db.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Dec 24, 2014 @ 00:04
    Nicholas Westby

Looks like that's the place. Thanks!

I'm curious why this wouldn't be written to the database. Seems like the type of thing that one would want to keep synchronized across environments. I was about to create an issue for this, but it seems one was already created: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-83

Not sure it will ever get done though... it's over 2 years old.

Dec 24, 2014 @ 00:12
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Nicholas

Glad it helped - Yeah I was puzzled about it as well when I figured it out a couple of years ago. Not sure about what the reason for it is though. Would also think that it's something you want to keep in the database.

I guess all we can do is vote up the issue then and hope that something is done about it some day.

/Jan

Dec 24, 2014 @ 00:17
    Nicholas Westby

18 voters so far (I have personally never seen an Umbraco issue with so many voters).

Dec 24, 2014 @ 06:05
    Jan Skovgaard

Hehe, well I have... I created this one a couple of years ago http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-689, which has 24 votes. And I've seen others with more votes as well.

So votes are no guarantee that HQ will fix something. It all depends on how they prioritize. But people who want to make awesome pull requests can then go for fixing some of the more popular issues for instance.

/Jan

Dec 24, 2014 @ 06:50
    Nicholas Westby

You piqued my interest, so I looked into it. It appears there are only about 10 open tasks with that many votes: http://issues.umbraco.org/issues?q=sort+by%3A+Votes+State%3A+%7BIn+Progress%7D%2C+Open%2C+Reopened%2C+Submitted%2C+%7BWorkaround+posted%7D

Seems like the ones with the most votes have no "affected version" specified. I wonder if the HQ team looks for items that affect more recent versions and prioritize those.

Dec 24, 2014 @ 07:52
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Nicholas

They prioritize what they think is important and is moving Umbraco forward and making it the best possible CMS. But sometimes it would be nice if some stuff got a little more polish.

The issue I created is not version specific. The dictionary items section lacks those features I mentions from v2,3,4,6 and 7 :)

EDIT: But you can work with dictionary items regardless of those features being present for instance. It's just really time consuming at larger scale websites and as soon as you make a mistake it's all over again. But it works and once you know your way around it and know how to stay out of trouble it's fine.

Perhaps some of the other issues are like that as well - I have not checkked :) - I wanted to have a look at it during this years CG retreat but turned out that the settings section was still running on the old Webforms templates rather than angular so I gave it a rest. When HQ is done rewriting all of the backoffice to angular I'll try to give it another shot and see if I can add the features myself unless some else gets to it before me.

Merry Xmas! :)

/Jan

• Jay 410 posts 636 karma points
    Aug 01, 2016 @ 10:42
    Jay

Anyone knows where this is store on Umbraco V7.3.8? Can't find the access.config file anymore on this version

Thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft