Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Steven Harland 78 posts 518 karma points c-trib
    Jan 08, 2015 @ 15:37
    Steven Harland

Media Section Performance (Umbraco 6.2.4)

Hi all,

We have an Umbraco 6.2.4 site (recently upgraded from 6.1.6) that is fairly large, about 14000 content nodes. The Media section has a similar number of nodes (images organised into folders and subfolders, somewhat mirroring the structure of the content tree). The largest folder contains almost 700 subfolders and is expected to grow.

Navigating the media tree is very slow, as is loading folder contents in the pane to the right. The Content section on the other hand is fine and everything loads fairly quickly.

Does anyone have any tips on how to improve the performance of the Media section?

Thanks.

Steven.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 08, 2015 @ 16:17
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Steven

You could try to add some index following the guide provided in the last answer by Mikkel on the first page of this post http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/extending-umbraco/42361-This-is-a-bit-dirtybut-I-need-to-mess-with-the-database - Also make sure to read the rest of his answers.

It helped me speed up a slow site where both content and media sections were really slow so I think it's worth a shot.

Hope this helps a bit.

/Jan

Jan 08, 2015 @ 16:40
    Steven Harland

Hi Jan,

I tried running Mikkel's query but it didn't return anything. I ran the same query against an older database (6.1.6) and it did. Perhaps the upgrade added the missing indexes?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 08, 2015 @ 18:30
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Steven

Hmm, ok that could be - Not sure though. I remember there was some discussion about it on twitter once Mikkel helped me back then and I think the ghist was that the indexes could not be added untill there had been some usage because it's hard to optimize something that one does not know how performs...if that makes sense (and english)?

Not sure what else to try in order to optimize the speed unfortunately...but if I should come to think of something then I'll let you know.

/Jan

Jan 09, 2015 @ 18:04
    Steven Harland

Thanks Jan, makes perfect sense. I need to run the query on the live database.

Jan 12, 2015 @ 15:34
    Steven Harland

Unfortunately after adding the indexes suggested by the script we still don't see any improvement. It's taking upwards of 20 seconds to load the tree and each subfolder within.

We're open to any other suggestions.

Many thanks.

Steven.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft