Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• rkin005 3 posts 21 karma points
    Dec 21, 2009 @ 14:55
    rkin005

Moving pages creates phantom page that I can't delete or update

I had a page on my site that doesn't exist in the umbraco admin Content section. This page persists cespite deleting the data/umbraco.config file and also turning off caching by updating config/umbracosettings.config so XmlCacheEnabled is False. It's not just my browser cache - have tried different browsers and machines to be sure.

What's more, I want to create a page at that URL. I can create a new node that'll get that url but the old "phantom" page is still in the browser instead (ie the old page is shown on my website, while the admin console only shows my new node). If I rename my new node so it gets a different URL then I can see it in the browser just fine, but then renaming back and only the "phantom" page shows.

This is soooo frustrating! It appears, after much annoyance, that the problem is caused by moving the node. Perhaps there's some db entries that weren't updated correctly and it gets lost somewhere?

I'm running umbraco v 4.0.2.1 (Assembly version: 1.0.3441.17657).

I think the series of steps that I performed to get into this situation were along these lines:

1. Create new node 'New Page' at level one, e.g. mysite.com/new-page.aspx. Set hide in navigation to true.
    2. Renamed node to 'NewPage', url now mysite.com/newpage.aspx.
    3. Moved node to level two, beneath my Products page, and set hide in navigation to false. Now page shows at mysite.com/products/newpage.aspx. However, my top-level menu/navigation (based on Runway) wasn't working, so there must be something messed up with the xml.
    4. Tried to update the page via admin console, but updates not showing on webpage.
    5. Created a new page beneath Products: mysite.com/products/new2.aspx. This displays fine and top-level menu works fine.
    6. Delete the first node NewPage. Rename second new node from New2 to NewPage. When I go to mysite.com/products/newpage.aspx it's still showing the original deleted file instead of the updated one.
    7. Rename the node from NewPage to NewPage2 and it displays fine at mysite.com/products/newpage2.aspx. The old (phantom) page is still displayed at mysite.com/products/newpage.aspx. Very odd!

Then I discovered a workaround:

1. (Having renamed the second node back to NewPage.) Move node to top level, then moved back to beneath Products again.

Now the page displays correctly - ie displays the new node not the old one, and the top-level navigation is now correct.

I've had this once before but couldn't work out how to solve it so ended up just creating a differently-named file.

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Dec 21, 2009 @ 14:58
    Dirk De Grave

Great bug report rkin005! Are you able to repro this on a clean install? If so, would you mind adding this issue to codeplex to get this resolved!

TIA,

/Dirk

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft