Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• wschwarte 44 posts 73 karma points
    Mar 03, 2015 @ 10:22
    wschwarte

Index and Search PDF documents Umbraco 4.5.2?

I searched the forums and there are some posts about indexing and searching PDF documents. I could not find any tutorial/how-to, or if it is even possible on 4.5.2. 

Current site uses xsltSearch for the content. 

Is there any step-by-step guide on how to implement this on 4.5.2 somewhere?

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Mar 05, 2015 @ 17:57
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi wschwarte,

Where are you storing your pdfs ? Do you want to search inside pdf files, or only basic info ?

THanks

• wschwarte 44 posts 73 karma points
    Mar 19, 2015 @ 10:18
    wschwarte

HI,

they are stored in the media section. I would like to search inside the PDF. 

thanks!

• Tom Madden 252 posts 454 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Mar 19, 2015 @ 11:29
    Tom Madden

AFAIK that won't be possible with xslt search and you'll have to change to use Examine and look into what version of Umbraco will best support this (I believe PDF indexing is built into v7.2, but the upgrade might not be worth it just to add PDF searching)

I think xslt search will search only on Umbraco content in the xml cache, to index PDF's you would usually usually use a third party tool (free ones are available like https://pdfapi.codeplex.com/) and that would read the PDF file and add it to a Lucene index which you would query with Examine. I'm not sure which packages already exist to do this but hopefully this will point you in the right direction.

regards

Tom

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft