Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Avraham Kahana 22 posts 56 karma points
    Mar 12, 2015 @ 13:48
    Avraham Kahana

Umbraco custom error pages - handling 404 working but 500 not

I have configured umbraco following this umbraco wiki. Handling 404 not found errors is working fine, I am ending up in the content page I specified within the "error404" tag.

In attempting to test handling http status code 500-family errors, I am forcibly dividing by zero inside a view, but I am not ending up in the content page (the same for 404) that was specified to handle 500 errors. Instead, I get a regular asp.net, with red title "Server error in "/" Application" and the yellow page stating "Attempted to divide by zero.", along with the stack.

Follows how my umbracoSettings.config looks like (the section that is supposed to configure custom error pages):

<errors>
      <error404>33990</error404>
      <error500>33990</error500>
    </errors>

I am using IIS 7.5.7600.... According to the aforementioned umbraco wiki, I should add the following to my web.config, within the

<httpErrors existingResponse="PassThrough"/>

Doing so, however, does not fix it.

What am I missing ?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 25, 2015 @ 11:26
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Avraham

Setting error 500 pages is not supported using this config. It's not something that is baked into Umbraco out of the box. That will require a custom error 500 handler i think. All I know is that it won't work doing it like this :)

/Jan

• Jose Gonzalez 15 posts 98 karma points
    Nov 30, 2015 @ 16:51
    Jose Gonzalez

Hi Jan,

Do you know if I can redirect a 410 error to my 404 page using the umbracosettings.config file?

Thanks

Mar 25, 2015 @ 11:29
    Avraham Kahana

Well thanks Jan, at least I was given a definitive answer :)

Mar 29, 2015 @ 11:31
    Avraham Kahana

Jan, I can perform a redirect to a 500 error using the approach described here in a regular asp.net mvc project, but this redirect will not work in my Umbraco site.

The redirect in my web.config needs to be to a SurfaceController? Is this supposed to work, in the first place ? Additionally, does umbraco support working with both "customErrors" and umbraco.settings errors configuration ?

I tried also Sebastiaan's solution, the redirect is not working. I now get blank pages for both my 404 and 500 errors.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft