Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lesley 284 posts 143 karma points
    Mar 13, 2015 @ 15:52
    Lesley

Accessibility of backend?

What's the deal regarding accessibility of the Umbraco backoffice these days?

Someone I know is evaluating CMSs and with a screen reader user on-staff has some definite accessibility requirements. He says Umbraco does really badly on their tests (though I don't know which version they've been looking at).

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 15, 2015 @ 08:43
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Lesley

I don't think it's something that has been a priority from HQ so it's possibly lacking unfortunately. Is it something that is going to be an issue for you or your clients?

/Jan

• Lesley 284 posts 143 karma points
    Mar 16, 2015 @ 19:16
    Lesley

Hi Jan,

It's not a problem for me directly but I think my contact will have to remove Umbraco from his shortlist. It's disappointing because I've been raving about this CMS to him for years (and it was otherwise doing very well in his evaluation)!

I was kind of hoping someone would say, "they've probably been testing with v6, and should try v7 which is much better". (Or vice-versa!)

If anyone out there is actually using Umbraco with a screen reader or similar, we'd be interested to hear how they get on with it. There was someone at the "help out with Belle" session at UmbUkFest2012 who asked about accessibility but I don't know his name. Anyone remember that? 

Cheers,
    Lesley 

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 16, 2015 @ 19:24
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Lesley

Well, it's not something that I have been testing thoroughly - Just gut feeling. I noticed that there are some tabbing issues for instance and it's something I would like to contribute fixing but currently the backoffice is a bit messy since some of it is angularjs based and some parts are user control based. I think that the intention is to get the backoffice to be 100% angularjs based with the v8 release so once that hits the street I'll digg into the source once again and see if I can improve some of the issues that I know about.

But does your client have a very specific need for the CMS to be accessible? To what level does it need to be accessible and why? (I'm thinking if he or one of his employers are having a certain disability, which make them incapable of using traditional input devices) - If not then I think they will have no issues using the backoffice.

I get that their public facing website probably needs to adhere to accessibility guidelines and best practices, which I think is good. But unless he or his employees suffer from some kind of disability that makes Umbraco useless to them I think it's still a good option - And hopefully Umbraco will be more accessible in the future, I for one would love to contribute to that at least :)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft