Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• jay Crawford 5 posts 25 karma points
    Apr 07, 2015 @ 17:07
    jay Crawford

Umbraco using 99% of processing power

umbraco v 4.7.2 (Assembly version: 1.0.4868.23956)

Hi,

We inherited an Umbraco site and have limited experience of umbraco.

The main problem we have is that occasionally (ie three time today) umbraco goes into some kind of a cycle andtakes all of the processing power form the webserver, killing performance in the process.

The umbraco log says

[UmbracoExamine] Error indexing queue items,read past EOF, IndexSet: InternalMemberIndexSet

quite a few times. It is not clear to me whether the indexing is the issue as these occur regularly and the cpu spike is periodic.

We also get SQL server timeout errors which are caused by Umbraco hogging all the cpu.

I would be grateful for any advice on taming this beast.

Thansk

jonathan

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Apr 07, 2015 @ 17:34
    Nicholas Westby

There have been various issues with Umbraco over time with the CPU getting pegged. I was even having an issue with one of the more recent versions (7.2.2): http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-6292

To fix the Examine issue, try deleting App_Data\TEMP\ExamineIndexes. That should cause your Examine indexes to rebuild. Hopefully that fixes your CPU issue.

I have seen SQL Server timeouts in Umbraco 4.x, but not due to Umbraco. It was due to a developer who didn't close their SQL connection (IIS doesn't like to do garbage collection, so unclosed SQL connections can remain open for a long time until they get garbage collected).

You can add an application name to a SQL connection in the connection string. That's how I was able to find what was causing the unclosed SQL connections. See https://www.connectionstrings.com/use-application-name-sql-server/

You can then see a list of open connections in SQL Server and it will list the application name. You may have to create multiple SQL connections and have your code use a different one than Umbraco for that technique to work.

To troubleshoot CPU issues in general, you can use dotTrace on your production environment: https://www.jetbrains.com/profiler/

• jay Crawford 5 posts 25 karma points
    Apr 08, 2015 @ 11:08
    jay Crawford

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I deleted the Examine indexes and checked the error logs and the error is still flooding in (100 in the first half hour)/

[UmbracoExamine] Cannot index queue items, the index doesn't exist!,, IndexSet: InternalMemberIndexSet

I checked the examine config files and they seem fine and the InternalMemberIndexSet is all present and correct

and the index folder has been recreated in the temp folder ok.

I was wondering how you throttled your umbraco site to stop it taking all the CPu as i am gouign to need to do this

as a short term measure to stop it killing other sites.

kind regards

jc

Apr 08, 2015 @ 16:06
    Nicholas Westby

It's an IIS setting. Go to your application pool advanced settings:

enter image description here

Apr 08, 2015 @ 16:12
    Nicholas Westby

By the way, see this thread: https://our.umbraco.org/forum/core/general/15242-Investigating-Examine-error-log-entries

The last person made a trimmed down version of the Examine settings (there are two files in the config folder related to Examine) to avoid indexing altogether. Perhaps you could try the same. Here is what they posted:

enter image description here

That may break any search functionality you have on your site though. Also, after you make that change, be sure to delete the indexes again from your TEMP folder, and recycle the app pool.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft