Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dariune 21 posts 40 karma points
    Jan 16, 2010 @ 17:31
    Dariune

ASP Classic

Hi all

Im a web developer in training currently working on a website that several people will need to edit.

Unfortunately the Open University course im doing in web application development taught me ASP Classic using VB rather than ASP.net.

So my question is, can a site, built in ASP work with Umbraco to allow me to build the site and for others to edit various bits of content unique to each page?

Thanks

Dariune

• Dan 1288 posts 3921 karma points c-trib
    Jan 16, 2010 @ 18:30
    Dan

Hi Dariune, unfortunately classic ASP and .NET are two very different things.  You won't be able to take a classic ASP site and plug Umbraco straight in as a CMS.  Nor will VBScript stand you in very good stead for using Umbraco.  Saying that however, if you can build HTML templates and CSS files, you shouldn't need to know much (or any) ASP.NET to get a working website built with Umbraco.  I'd personally recommend signing up to umbraco.tv and watching a few of the starter videos on how to begin using Umbraco (setting up document types, templates and style sheets etc) - if these make sense and you can follow them easily enough then you should be able to build your site without too much trouble even without knowing any ASP.NET.

HTH...

• Dariune 21 posts 40 karma points
    Jan 16, 2010 @ 19:52
    Dariune

Hi Dan

Thanks for the quick reply.

Ive actualy almost finished building the site. The only VBscript in it is for the guestbooks and i have used "#include file" to make the template. (Therefore being able to update the apropriate file rather than update each individual page when needing to make changes. 

I do intend on learning ASP.NET because it is very much the current language and ASP is a little obsolete but i wont have time to do that until my course is over.

So for the meantime do you know of any CMS i can attach my site to, to allow other users to make content changes?

Thanks again

Dariune

• Dan 1288 posts 3921 karma points c-trib
    Jan 17, 2010 @ 12:51
    Dan

Hi Dariune,

I couldn't recommend a classic ASP CMS as I always used to build my own I'm afraid.  I'm sure if you Google you'll get some options, but personally I'd recommend building it with Umbraco anyway as you don't need any .NET knowledge to do what you need to do.  That said, I remember being quite intimidated by .NET and in particular frameworks like Umbraco when I moved from a classic ASP environment, so I know it's quite a large step to take out of the comfort zone.  I would never go back though.

If you've got time, I'd try Umbraco.  If you're really under pressure to deliver something, I'd google for some classic ASP code you can use, or even a simple tutorial on forms and data storage in classic ASP to build your own.

Good luck with it, and hopefully we'll see you back around here.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft