Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robert Lewis 29 posts 94 karma points
    Jun 06, 2015 @ 10:03
    Robert Lewis

Umbraco back office white screen

I have deployed a website to a server, the front end of the website works fine, but when I try to login to the backend I only get a white screen. It is umbraco version 7.2.4. The site works fine locally. I think it is a permissions issue, but not quite sure

• Robert Lewis 29 posts 94 karma points
    Jun 09, 2015 @ 10:10
    Robert Lewis

For those who may get this issue.

1. I ran fiddler on the site and noticed that there were 404 errors on the files inside /umbraco/lib/angular/1.1.5/ for example 404 /umbraco/lib/angular/1.1.5/angular.min.js. 
    2. Did a search for "404 /umbraco/lib/angular/1.1.5/angular.min.js" and came across this post
    3. It mentions this issue was caused by UrlScan and following the steps in this page.
    4. I removed urlscan from the isapi filters in iis and the back office worked again
  • Steven 12 posts 83 karma points
    Jan 12, 2016 @ 09:38
    Steven

Guys, I'm having the same "white Umbraco backoffice screen" issue with a site, using Firefox (43.0.4). The Umbraco version is: 7.2.8 assembly: 1.0.5675.23466. Following the previous answers I checked for the URLScan ISAPI filter, but that isn't present at all for the site. Requesting the backoffice in Chrome gives me the logon screen (as it should).

Hereunder a screenshot of the console with script errors and the Fiddler result (no 404's whatsoever...). Something wrong with minimizing? With bundling? What should I look for?!

console script errors

Fiddler result

• Denford 132 posts 323 karma points
    Feb 10, 2018 @ 13:16
    Denford

Anyone else who might run into this, in my case back-end works fine locally but not on the server upgraded from 7.3.4 to 7.8.1 and was getting the back-end white screen with an error "SCRIPT5022: No module: ngFileUpload" from the dependencyhandler.axd file and so far the only fix that seems to work is having the debug set to true on the server if i set if off back-end goes back to white screen no clue why though :(

• David Zweben 266 posts 750 karma points
    Feb 10, 2018 @ 20:20
    David Zweben

I am having the same issue on a local, never-upgraded installation of 7.8.0. It works fine in debug mode, but the backoffice is totally dead when I turn it off.

• Ajju 25 posts 148 karma points
    Feb 11, 2018 @ 05:03
    Ajju

I am too having the same problem,

• Rick Mason 38 posts 169 karma points
    Feb 11, 2018 @ 10:06
    Rick Mason

It doesn't sound like it'll help David, but generally when I get a white screen instead of the back office login it's because some file in /umbraco or /umbraco_client is missing. Delete both folders and replace them with a copy from a fresh install.

If you've got client-side files that only work when debug=true, most likely you have a problem with your configuration of ClientDependency. Check web.config and config/clientdependency.config. The only specific problem I know of is if you're running in a subfolder/virtual directory rather than the root of an IIS site. In that case ClientDependency points to /ClientDependency.axd, but you don't have the handler registered in the root so it's not found. If that's the problem, there's a config setting to change the path.

Feb 12, 2018 @ 10:10
    Denford

Well at least its good to know its not directly related to upgrading, in my case i have literally deleted all files in the Umbraco and Umbraco_Client folders and copied them from my local to the server and still the same.

When i done my upgrade replaced all the configs as well and only changed the tree and applications adding back the package items changes and thats all. @Rick what sort of config settings do we need to look for.

Feb 12, 2018 @ 10:36
    Rick Mason

Here are all the possible configuration settings. The one I needed was compositeFileHandlerPath. With debug=false check what response you're getting for calls to DependencyHandler.axd. If it's 404 that might be the setting you need as well.

Feb 12, 2018 @ 11:24
    Denford

Thanks for that so checked my web config got the handler, module and section in all looks good see below

<add name="ClientDependencyModule" type="ClientDependency.Core.Module.ClientDependencyModule, ClientDependency.Core" />

<add verb="*" path="DependencyHandler.axd" type="ClientDependency.Core.CompositeFiles.CompositeDependencyHandler, ClientDependency.Core " />

<section name="clientDependency" type="ClientDependency.Core.Config.ClientDependencySection, ClientDependency.Core" requirePermission="false" />

and in the client dependency config got:

<compositeFiles defaultProvider="defaultFileProcessingProvider" compositeFileHandlerPath="~/DependencyHandler.axd">
    <fileProcessingProviders>
      <add name="CompositeFileProcessor" 
           type="ClientDependency.Core.CompositeFiles.Providers.CompositeFileProcessingProvider, ClientDependency.Core" 
           enableCssMinify="true" 
           enableJsMinify="true" 
           persistFiles="true" 
           compositeFilePath="~/App_Data/TEMP/ClientDependency" 
           bundleDomains="localhost:123456" 
           urlType="Base64QueryStrings" 
           pathUrlFormat="{dependencyId}/{version}/{type}" />
    </fileProcessingProviders>

<!-- A file map provider stores references to dependency files by an id to be used in the handler URL when using the MappedId Url type -->
    <fileMapProviders>
      <add name="XmlFileMap" type="ClientDependency.Core.CompositeFiles.Providers.XmlFileMapper, ClientDependency.Core" mapPath="~/App_Data/TEMP/ClientDependency" />
    </fileMapProviders>

Now the only visible difference i can see between the 2 is in the web config the path is just path="DependencyHandler.axd" and in the client dependency config its compositeFileHandlerPath="~/DependencyHandler.axd" not sure it the web config one should be with "~/" as well or should the client on not have that lol.

In my case the error is more a script error in the console log than a 404 not found will try and get the actual error. Just to point out my live environment is a web app on azure could that make or cause some issues maybe?

Feb 12, 2018 @ 11:30
    Rick Mason

We're on Azure too and just use the standard clientdependency.config.

Feb 12, 2018 @ 11:52
    Denford

Ok debugging a live site now :(, so the error i am getting is below:

enter image description here

Changed the web config to also use the path="~/DependencyHandler.axd" and now got a new error lol, from the /umbrao/application below:

enter image description here

As well as a few 404s and 500s for the dependencyhandler.axd looks liek it def doesnt like that either lol.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft