Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• raheem 8 posts 28 karma points
    Jun 12, 2015 @ 10:59
    raheem

Project sample example in umbraco

hi

I am new in umbraco so want to developed a project using umbraco cms. And i need a project sample examples.

Thanks.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 12, 2015 @ 18:32
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Raheem and welcome to the forum :)

Have you downloaded and installed Umbraco already?

If so there should have been a starter kit installed by default, which you could use as a starting point. I take that if you have already installed Umbraco it's v7?

/Jan

• John Churchley 272 posts 1258 karma points c-trib
    Jun 12, 2015 @ 18:53
    John Churchley

If your looking for something more indepth on membership etc the starter kit Warren Buckley built was a good starting place for me.

https://github.com/warrenbuckley/CWS-Start

Jun 12, 2015 @ 19:02
    Jan Skovgaard

I'm not sure that Warrens starter kit is compatible with v7 though - but that was a nice package back in the days indeed :)

/Jan

Jun 12, 2015 @ 19:04
    Jan Skovgaard

@john I would have given you a high five, but Unfortunately that is not currently possible when posting from mobile :-/

Jun 12, 2015 @ 19:08
    John Churchley

Thanks Jan didn't realise it had been so long!

Jun 13, 2015 @ 05:13
    raheem

Hi Jan Skovgaard and John Churchley,

Thanks for your valueable replied.

Already i started working on Umbraco like changing design template and menu's but one think i am going to struck that is functionality coding. I am not using mvc razor because my existing project is on .aspx web forms so that why i selected web forms option in umbraco. And one more think that lot blogs and examples are based on mvc razor in umbraco. Why i am using umbraco web form is for existing files want to put into umbraco folder.

Thanks and waiting for your reply

Jun 13, 2015 @ 05:17
    raheem

Hi

I am working umbraco 6.1.3 because in my system install visual studio 2010 and for umbraco 7 need VS 2012 .

Thanks

Jun 13, 2015 @ 07:38
    John Churchley

Hi Raheem,

Is there a reason you couldn't move the files across to MVC. I'm not sure VS2012 is a requirement as if your installing though Nuget the dependencies will install for you. Can I ask what you mean by putting existing files in the Umbraco folder (I assume you mean existing masterpages etc not in the umbraco and umbraco_client folder)?

If you choose to no upgrade you might get fustrated in the future as if your havin trouble finding documentation now this is likely to be increased in the future. Also if your working for a client they might be disappointed if they find out as they might come back in a year and ask for functionality which existing only in 7+ easily. For example sorting nodes by alphabetical order is they simple in U7 but in the old interface you would have to download a plug in.

There are very useful guides out there in upgrading a web forms project to MVC. I'm currently upgrading a project from webforms to MVC and its my feeling I can order the code a lot better with MVC and set it up so a web-designer in the future isn't concern by the server side operations getting in there way.

Here's some more information on upgrading. If the project as been built well much of the code behind should be moved across with tinkering yes but you'll be grateful to do it now than have to come back and do it in the future.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft