Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Brakkar 12 posts 53 karma points
    Jun 12, 2015 @ 20:52
    Brakkar

Good books to learn umbraco

Hi, i plan to install and use umbraco for all my websites but have no experience with Microsoft world.

What good book do you suggest to learn umbraco ? I already have good C# books.

Should I also read Asp.net books ? Or asp.net MVC specifically ? Any titles ? Since lots of ways to do things are supported by umbraco, I guess I don't need to learn the full asp.net stack and should focus on umbraco.

Please advise, Thanks, Benjamin

• raheem 8 posts 28 karma points
    Jun 13, 2015 @ 05:20
    raheem
  • John Churchley 272 posts 1258 karma points c-trib
    Jun 13, 2015 @ 07:47
    John Churchley

Hi Brakkar,

There is no official books I'm aware of in the past there was but they became very outdated soon after print. I would recommend looking though the sites wiki pages and check out umbraco TV. Umbraco courses are fully worth attending if you have a training budget. Once you've got the basics asks questions when you get in to trouble on here and you'll usually get a prompt response. Welcome to Umbraco and good luck.

• Brakkar 12 posts 53 karma points
    Jun 13, 2015 @ 07:54
    Brakkar

Hi, my title was a bit misleading but thanks for your answers. What I wanted to know, is how much ASP.NET should I learn, aside from umbraco resources, to be good at using it as a developper, and if you knew good ASP.NET specific books. .

• John Churchley 272 posts 1258 karma points c-trib
    Jun 13, 2015 @ 08:22
    John Churchley

I would look through what is covered in the umbraco level 1 course and get comfortable with the topics covered. I found I learnt a lot better though overcoming real scenarios once I master the basics.

• egeek 40 posts 179 karma points
    Jun 16, 2015 @ 13:41
    egeek

Hi Brakker,

After you install Umbraco, you can install the addon called "Bookshelf" from within the Umbraco backoffice. This addons ships with a book to get you started with Umbraco. I believe it's the most detailed and up to date work out there. You'll find a lot of useful information in it.

Regarding the .NET stack, to get started, you only need to know of Razor syntax, but a basic understanding of the MVC Framework might also be a good idea.

Introduction to Razor syntax

Introduction to ASP.NET MVC (8 hours of videos)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft