Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Steve Morgan 1345 posts 4452 karma points c-trib
    Jun 17, 2015 @ 09:38
    Steve Morgan

Examine Indexes not being rebuilt

Hi,

Just had some weird search results so I went to rebuild the indexes - testing first on a dev server and I get 0 results and in the log:

2015-06-17 10:08:47,664 [10] ERROR UmbracoExamine.DataServices.UmbracoLogService - [Thread 39] Provider=ExternalIndexer, NodeId=-1
    System.Exception: Error indexing queue items,The given key was not present in the dictionary., IndexSet: ExternalIndexSet

Has anyone seen this before and knows how to resolve it? Looks like someone did before http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23839204/umbraco-externalindexer-not-indexing-nodes but no solution!

Steve

• James 251 posts 1169 karma points
    Jun 17, 2015 @ 13:59
    James

Have you tried deleting all the indexes in ~/App_Data/TEMP/ExamineIndexes/(Index Name)/Index/* ?

If you delete the files inside that directory but not the actual folder. Then restart the site and publish some content. They should rebuild?

Apologies if you have tried this already :)

• Sören Deger 733 posts 2844 karma points c-trib
    Jun 17, 2015 @ 18:44
    Sören Deger

Hi Steve,

how you have rebuild the indexes? With the default Examine dashboard in developer section?

Best, Sören

Jun 17, 2015 @ 19:53
    Steve Morgan

@James - yes tried a full delete of the indexes.

@Sören - yes using that interface. It seems to hang for a few seconds and then returns but with zero nodes indexed and the error above logged.

• Sören Deger 733 posts 2844 karma points c-trib
    Jun 17, 2015 @ 19:58
    Sören Deger

Hi Steve,

maybe you have an error in your ExternalIndexSet. This is defined in file /config/ExamineIndex.config. Can you post here this file. Then I will have a look on it.

Best, Sören

Jun 18, 2015 @ 08:53
    Steve Morgan

Hi,

Quick update - after another clear out of the files it's now behaving.

I'll refrain from messing with it now I have a workaround. Thanks all.

Jul 03, 2015 @ 11:03
    Steve Morgan

My configs were fine - I trapped the error down to the problem where a previous dev had created an intercept on the app startup to index child content nodes against the parents. eZsearch was also installed doing the same thing which resulted in some ugly "Resolution is not frozen" errors until the indexes were built.

I've refactored and simplified this but now when the External index is built I get a

System.Exception: Error indexing queue items,Illegal characters in path

and it seems to fall over... anybody seen this before?

Jul 03, 2015 @ 11:04
    Steve Morgan
    2015-07-02 11:07:13,463 [251] ERROR UmbracoExamine.DataServices.UmbracoLogService - [Thread 273] Provider=ExternalIndexer, NodeId=-1

System.Exception: Error indexing queue items,Illegal characters in path., IndexSet: ExternalIndexSet

Jul 03, 2015 @ 15:58
    Steve Morgan

For anyone else that lands here... tracked the problem to media images with funky file names. It might be something to do with the image cropper... not sure.

Basically I just wrapped a try catch in ezSearchBootstrapper.cs on the Path.GetFileName(e.Fields["umbracoFile"]); line.

try
            {
                // Extract the filename from media items
                if (e.Fields.ContainsKey("umbracoFile"))
                {
                    e.Fields["umbracoFileName"] = Path.GetFileName(e.Fields["umbracoFile"]);
                }
            }
            catch
            {
                // do nothing
            }

Still testing but it seems to have nailed it.

• Mark Bowser 273 posts 860 karma points c-trib
    Mar 02, 2016 @ 00:41
    Mark Bowser

Steve, I just had the exact same problem. You save lives. This worked like magic.

I'm pretty confident that the problem is trying this with Image Cropper. On our site, we changed our umbracoFile to use Image Cropper instead of the default upload property editor. This means that a bunch of JSON is being indexed in the umbracoFile field.

Mar 02, 2016 @ 09:11
    Steve Morgan

Glad to hear my pain is helping others Mark!

I've marked that as a solution as it definitely fixed the issue I had.

• Darren Eccles 59 posts 298 karma points
    Jul 13, 2018 @ 10:02
    Darren Eccles

Hi Steve,

Just want to say thanks, had the same problem on one of our older umbraco sites, ezsearch returning no results.

Adding the try catch block fixed the error.

This is really random though, we've had no issues with ezsearch before!!

Thanks again though

Darren

• aaeda 117 posts 150 karma points
    Mar 06, 2019 @ 13:01
    aaeda

Hello

Having the same issues as above but unfortunately the solutions are not working. The search returning no results for almost everything.

Can you please help?

thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft