Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Negley 9 posts 51 karma points
    Jul 01, 2015 @ 18:45
    David Negley

Where Do Pages Live?

I am part of a team developing a site in Umbraco. We have completed the site development, and are ready to move the site to the client's host.

My first question is, "What is the recommended way of doing this"?

The second question is related to security. Our client has security in place that prevents me from logging on to do post-install tweaks. If I continue to add pages and change content at my own facility, what is the easiest way to move those changes to my client's site?

Thanks!

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Jul 01, 2015 @ 19:11
    Dennis Aaen

Hi David,

When you have done the development of the website and want to move it to the client host then you following these steps.

If you´re using the embedded SQLCE database, then you should just copy over all the folders of your Umbraco installation to the client server by FTP.

You can exclude copy the /AppData/Logs and /AppData/TEMP that it won´t make any sense to have logs from your local environment on the clients server.

If you are using MSSQL server then you should take a backup of your database, when this is in place, then you need to install the backup on the clients server. When this is in place, then copy over the folders and files to the server with FTP.

The last thing you need to do is to change the connection string in the web.config so it point on the new database on the client´s server.

For the second part of you questions about how to continue adding pages and content changes. You have different options. Try to see these packages.

The first package you could have a look at is Courier, this package is build for deploy changes between the different environments.

https://our.umbraco.org/projects/umbraco-pro/umbraco-courier-2

Another package you can have a look on is a package called Umport. This package helps you automate the deployment of your Umbraco configuration between environments. Simply export the configuration of the source environment and import it on the target environment and you're good to go.

https://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/umport/

The Conveyor package helps you with transfer content (media and content) of a website from one environment to another. Perhaps you also should have a look at this one.

https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/conveyor/

Hope this helps, and make sense.

/Dennis

• David Negley 9 posts 51 karma points
    Jul 01, 2015 @ 19:18
    David Negley

Dennis,

Thanks so much! I just wanted to verify that we were following approved practices in copying the whole site over to the client server.

And yes, we are using SQL Server, and fully expected to do a backup/restore to get that in place.

Conveyor sounds like just the ticket for moving media and content over as we continue to develop the site.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Jul 01, 2015 @ 19:46
    Dennis Aaen

Hi David,

You are welcome, if you manage to solve your case by following the instructions from my post think that you should mark is a solved.

By doing this people with the same question can do directly to the solution that i works for you. You can mark the question as solved by hit the v (tick) in the right side on my first post.

/Dennis

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft