Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Alun Rowe 4 posts 34 karma points
    Jul 08, 2015 @ 10:00
    Alun Rowe

Umbraco site broken overnight

Hi All

I inherited a site from another company a few years back at thame4me.co.uk

In the past week it has just broken itself overnight. Initially we believed it was the umbracoLog table being too big (1.3million rows) so we truncated that as per the instructions we found but it still isn't working :(

We now get this on the frontend

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.] umbraco.requestHandler..ctor(XmlDocument umbracoContent, String url) +1653 umbraco.UmbracoDefault.Page_PreInit(Object sender, EventArgs e) +1591 System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +51 System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0 System.Web.UI.Page.OnPreInit(EventArgs e) +9667754 System.Web.UI.Page.PerformPreInit() +31 System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +335

Further Googling has told us we should republish all the content but when I attempt to I get an ASPX error in the pop up window:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.] umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Document.ToXml(XmlDocument xd, Boolean Deep) +176 umbraco.content.getPreviewOrPublishedNode(Document d, XmlDocument xmlContentCopy, Boolean isPreview) +111 umbraco.content.PublishNodeDo(Document d, XmlDocument xmlContentCopy, Boolean updateSitemapProvider) +236 umbraco.content.UpdateDocumentCache(Document d) +393 umbraco.content.UpdateDocumentCache(Int32 pageId) +80 umbraco.library.UpdateDocumentCache(Int32 DocumentId) +156 umbraco.dialogs.publish.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +2772 System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +51 System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +92 umbraco.BasePages.BasePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +14 System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +54 System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +772

We are on version 4.7.1.1 and know next to nothing about Umbraco!

Help!

• John C Scott 473 posts 1183 karma points
    Jul 08, 2015 @ 10:07
    John C Scott

just a few obvious thoughts 1) is the DB definitely available to the application? 2) is there a disk space problem? 3) could there be a write permission problem for the application pool

not 100% sure but I think this error may be saying that for some reason it can't create the umbraco.config file which is created as an xml file caching the database

Jul 08, 2015 @ 10:14
    Alun Rowe

Hi John,

Thanks for responding so quickly.

DB is available as we tried changing the password to see if it stopped working in a different way ;)

The backend is certainly working and we can login to everything there (same server).

Diskspace "may" have been a problem before with the massive log file but should be clear now we've truncated? (do we need to recompress the db perhaps? and how?)

I can't find an umbraco.config file in the /data/ folder?

Jul 08, 2015 @ 10:24
    John C Scott

i've just been checking an old 4.7.11 site - yes the umbraco.config should be in the /data folder (in later versions it is in the /app-data/ folder)

so yes if you can log in to back end you can be assured DB connection is OK

will any page publish? ideally the highest page in the tree

is it a long time since new content was published? just wondering if there could be a long running permission issue that wasn't noticed until the app was restarted and there was an attempt to rewrite the xml file

does the app pool user have write/modify permissions to the site folders?

Jul 08, 2015 @ 10:27
    Alun Rowe

Nothing will publish.

I'm going to check with the ISP that we have the right permissions but I remember when it was handed over to us the old company had to republish all the content which took hours.

Looking in the umbrage log file I fond the following more detailed error:

Error Republishing: System.Xml.XmlException: ' ', hexadecimal value 0x0B, is an invalid character. Line 3, position 99. at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowInvalidChar(Char[] data, Int32 length, Int32 invCharPos) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseCDataOrComment(XmlNodeType type, Int32& outStartPos, Int32& outEndPos) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseCDataOrComment(XmlNodeType type) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent() at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read() at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadNode(Boolean skipOverWhitespace) at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadDocSequence(XmlDocument parentDoc) at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace) at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader) at System.Xml.XmlDocument.LoadXml(String xml) at umbraco.content.LoadContentFromDatabase()

Jul 08, 2015 @ 10:40
    John C Scott

there's an interesting thread here: https://our.umbraco.org/forum/using/ui-questions/6096-I-killed-the-post-the-issue-I-am-trying-to-resolveSorry

i haven't heard of this before but it seems to suggest that in this older version on Umbraco publishing can be broken by the presence of that character

is it possible to do a sql search for it?

Jul 08, 2015 @ 11:24
    Alun Rowe

Wow!

Thanks John

I had to do a search of the contentXML for the offending (looked like a FEMALE sign circle+arrow) character

select * from dbo.cmsContentXml WHERE xml LIKE '%[offendingcharacterhere]%'

Then using the ID's returned manually edited all the articles using http://mydomain/umbraco/editContent.aspx?id=1827 (where 1827 is the ID returned in the table)

It's now rebuilding all the pages... Here's hoping!

Jul 08, 2015 @ 13:01
    John C Scott

well that's fantastic news :)

i see the site is up

thank you for marking as answer - much appreciated

i hope your first experience of the friendly CMS was good :)

please do come back if we can ever help again

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft