Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• rasb 162 posts 218 karma points
    Feb 04, 2010 @ 17:16
    rasb

Screencast software

Hi guys,

What software do you use to create screencasts for Umbraco instructional videos? I need to create an instructional video for a website and would like to embed it using flash or something like that.

Any recommendations for software? Mac, Windows 7 and Ubuntu are the OS'es I run here.

/RasB

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Feb 04, 2010 @ 17:23
    Lee Kelleher

I think a lot of people are using Camtasia.

If you want a quick/free alternative, you could try Screenr?

Cheers, Lee.

• Laurence Gillian 600 posts 1219 karma points
    Feb 04, 2010 @ 17:23
    Laurence Gillian

If you've got budget Adobe Captivate is a fantastic piece of software and is really very flexible but fast to use.

/L

• rasb 162 posts 218 karma points
    Feb 04, 2010 @ 17:30
    rasb

I have tried Adobe Captivate once and love it, but I don't have that kind of budget unfortunately. 

Do any of the others offer the same functionality?

/RasB

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Feb 04, 2010 @ 18:02
    dandrayne

We bought captivate for use in the office and found it almost completely useless.  It basically takes static screenshots and records your mouse movements, then tries to piece together a slideshow-style thing based on this.

Because of this, trying to make demos of filling in forms is a complete waste of time.  It guesses the mouse movements and often the text being input was way behind the cursor movement.  There were form-related bugs that showed no sign off being fixed and every time I used it I died a little more.  I mean, all I want is to record the screen!  Why make it more complicated by faking the screenshots, form input and mouse movement?

We eventually bought a camtasia license and it does everything we need and more. 

If you're on osx and want polish, try ScreenFlow (http://www.telestream.net/screen-flow/overview.htm), it's really slick.  A cheaper option on OSX is iShowU (http://www.shinywhitebox.com/store/shop.php), which does most of what you'll need with little fuss (but much less polish)

Hope this helps,
    Dan

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Feb 04, 2010 @ 22:53
    Aaron Powell

I've used both ScreenFlow and Camtasia on OS X. In fact, the LINQ to Umbraco videos were recorded using both (the first few are ScreenFlow the rest are Camtasia for OS X).

I like Camtasia, it's a lot better value-for-money I found, although it did seem to break during the last presentation I ran so I have to re-record the last bit (if/ when I get to that :P)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft