Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ted Jardine 98 posts 120 karma points
    Feb 05, 2010 @ 00:23
    Ted Jardine

Scheduled Task sporadically stops running (and doesn't start again)

Anyone have issues with a scheduled task just deciding to stop for seemingly no reason? Scheduled task is configured as follows:

<task log="true" alias="feedcache" interval="60" url="http://www.site.com/umbraco/plugins/FergusonMoriyama/FeedCache/FeedCache.aspx" />

Runs fine for days or minutes at a time, but then for whatever reason it stops and doesn't run again without manually intervening (verified in this case via log entries in umbracoLog table and the fact that generated files from the FergusonMoriyama FeedCache plugin aren't updated). Moreover, the manual intervention usually means needing to rename the scheduled task as often even touching the Web.config or restarting the application pool does not successfully kick start it again.

I would like to provide more information for what other events occur around it, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason, apart from possibly it occurs after publishing any document in the site (no non-default events/actions hooked up with this). But even this is not reproducible.

v4.0.2.1
    Windows Server 2008 x64
    Integrated Pipeline

Feb 05, 2010 @ 00:24
    Ted Jardine

Optimally I'd like to have it run less frequently, but 60 seconds is helpful for possibly debugging the issue.

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Feb 05, 2010 @ 06:15
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Ted,

The problem with the scheduler is that the site needs to be visisted once in a while. My experience is that it dies after aprox 24 hours and when that happens your scheduled task dies also. So try a ping service to ping your site once in a while or generate more visitors.

Cheers,

Richard 

• waterhidden 1 post 23 karma points
    Feb 05, 2010 @ 07:58
    waterhidden

I would advice an online free scheduler service www.weetasks.com to schedule some urls, or to ping the site in some period.

Feb 05, 2010 @ 16:48
    Ted Jardine

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, we already have the site being pinged regularly so that's likely not it. If I can't figure it out though, I'll have to resort to pinging the feedcache page remotely as that will definitelly work.

This is the first time I've had to rely on the Umbraco scheduler and was hoping that it was implemented reliably (having had to create various schedulers in the past).

• Antoine 176 posts 1494 karma points
    Sep 13, 2012 @ 15:38
    Antoine

which version are you using? I fixed this problem with this solution: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/extending-umbraco/20861-scheduled-tasks-stops

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft