Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Murray Roke 503 posts 966 karma points c-trib
    Sep 09, 2015 @ 23:55
    Murray Roke

Umbraco performance over the years

Hi,
    We have been using umbraco for a long time now, and we have some old sites, new sites, and everything in between, I have started looking into a collection of niggles clients have been having, and the performance of the back office has come up as a common theme, particularly on sites which have more content. (indicated by umbraco.config filesize)

Some info about the sites in question:

version:4.0.4.2        umbraco.config: 42MB  Dedicated authoring server
    version:4.11.8         umbraco.config: 20MB  Dedicated authoring server EC2 m1.large
    version:6.1.6          umbraco.config: 23MB  Auth & web on one Server

It would seem from this range of versions that upgrading umbraco will yield few benefits without going to 7, even then I'm not sure?

What would be awesome, if there were benchmarks of each version of umbraco, especially benchmarking when data sizes get bigger than these.

My next steps would be to get some measurements together, perhaps give new relic a try, so any recommendations on the best way to go about this would also be appreciated.

• Nathan Woulfe 447 posts 1664 karma points MVP 5x hq c-trib
    Sep 10, 2015 @ 00:12
    Nathan Woulfe

We run v7 with dedicated author/web environments, umbraco.config is a tidy 100mb (db around 9.5gb).

Backoffice runs fine. Sometimes it might slow a little, but very rarely do we have complaints (we have 140+ users editing/creating content).

I'd be looking to move to v7 from a client-services POV - it's a much more pleasant working environment.

• [email protected] 406 posts 2135 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Sep 10, 2015 @ 06:31
    jeffrey@umarketingsuite.com

Hi guys,

I really love this site: http://ubenchmarks.com/ which benchmarks the content-API's in the different versions. A quick look at the graph shows that upgrading really improves this performance.

It doesn't look at the size of the umbraco.config but I don't think that will change much between the versions.

Good luck,

Jeffrey

Sep 10, 2015 @ 07:00
    Murray Roke

@Nathan
    Nice to know.

@Jeffrey
    Agreed the size shouldn't change when upgrading.

But, the size of the content can make a big difference to performance, loading more than creating content I guess, and I'm guessing some versions can handle a lot of data better than other versions.

Awesome link by the way. :-)

Sep 22, 2015 @ 22:04
    Murray Roke

Along with the perf graph at uBenchmarks.com it would be good to know which API version (old or new) the back office uses in each version of umbraco? is it always the 'new' were it's available?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft