Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• webangelo 107 posts 190 karma points
    Feb 22, 2010 @ 18:29
    webangelo

Sudden Compilation Error

I have two sites using 4.0.3

After running a while they both suddenly threw a Compilation Error. 

Compiler Error 

I'm not going to post the stack track here yet, but it seems related to the following Microsoft Issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916451

My concern is that this is the second time it has happened and I haven't been updating the code on the sites at all.  They are running in a shared hosting environment and I don't have direct control of the server but I'm pursuing things from that end to see if I this applies.

What I want to ascertain from the Umbraco side is:

1. Has anyone seen this behavior?
    2. Whether this is a known issue in any installation configurations.
    3. Is there anything I can do with my settings in Umbraco to avoid this happening.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

--Chris

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Feb 22, 2010 @ 22:43
    Aaron Powell

Are you running uncompiled code on the server (ie - loose C# of VB.NET files)?

If so I'd change that quickly as it could be giving you problems.

If it's only happening in the shared hosting environment then it's a problem you'll need to chase them up about. Umbraco itself is compiled, unless you're running the source on the server (bad idea!!!!!)

Feb 23, 2010 @ 16:21
    webangelo

Slace:  Not on my own, but I didn't verify whether the community packages I installed are fully compiled or just running code pages.  That's a good place to check.  It may just be a case of compiling code in the packages.

Feb 25, 2010 @ 15:41
    webangelo

Okay, there may be more going on here.  A question... when one creates a new master page (i.e. template) using the Umbraco Framework, does that get compiled?  Is this done explicitly by Umbraco, or implicitly by ASP.NET?  My assumption is the latter which appears to shell out to the CSC.exe compiler which in turn creates the error noted above on servers which have this bug (MS bug not Umbraco bug).

Can anyone confirm?

• david 46 posts 81 karma points
    Feb 25, 2010 @ 15:51
    david

I'm probably not as knowledgeable as you'd like, but it seems the error that you link to only applies to .Net 1.0 and .Net 1.1. Pretty sure version 4.0.3 is .Net 2.

• Alex Norcliffe 222 posts 287 karma points
    Feb 25, 2010 @ 16:13
    Alex Norcliffe

Have you checked if you're running in Debug compilation mode in the web.config file? You should have debug="false" to be sure :)

Feb 25, 2010 @ 16:22
    webangelo

Thanx for the reply david .  Although the link does refer to ASP.NET 1.0 and 1.1, I'm seeing the same behavior it describes.  And the full error (not shown) does indicate it is shelling out to csc.exe to compile an updated master page (in the most recent example).  This may just be the case that MS hasn't had to address this issue after this due to most people getting the updated ISAPI filter.  I'm definitely following up with the Host (Pre SP1 Windows 2003 server... really?), but I'm trying to understand why from the Umbraco side as well.

Feb 25, 2010 @ 16:30
    webangelo

Thanx Alex.  Good thought, but OK there. ;)

Feb 25, 2010 @ 16:32
    webangelo

BTW, If anyone comes across this on their sites, a good thing to know is that Recycling the AppPool and/or resetting IIS both seem to temporarily fix the problem.

• david 46 posts 81 karma points
    Feb 25, 2010 @ 17:11
    david

I've noticed that many umbraco bugs can be fixed by changing a character and resaving the app.config.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Feb 25, 2010 @ 22:43
    Aaron Powell

All ASP.NET pages are 'compiled' when they are requested from IIS, as they have to build up the control tree and execute any in-line script tags.

When you create a Master Page from the Umbraco UI it doesn't create any code file, so there is no assembly which needs to be compiled for it (although you can create master pages which inherit from .NET classes, but that's irrelevant here).

You are also correct, Umbraco 4.0.3 is a .NET 2.0 application.

David - the reason some things seem "fixed" after editing the web.config (or really, many of the files in /config) is because they cause the app pool to be recycled to load in the new "changed" configuration settings.

Mar 17, 2010 @ 14:30
    webangelo

To come around full circle, although I couldn't get a definite answer out of my ISP, this appears to be related to not having ASP.NET 2.0 properly registered on the Server.  (aspnet_ regiis.exe command).  Anyway they moved me to a new server and all is well now.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft