Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Fergus Davidson 309 posts 588 karma points
    Mar 02, 2010 @ 16:35
    Fergus Davidson

urgent: reindexing broke my site

i have just reindexed my site to try and get the search to work properly

now when i try to access any of my content nodes, i get the following error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error: An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]

umbraco.controls.ContentControl.addControlNew(Property p, TabPage tp, String Caption) +106

umbraco.controls.ContentControl..ctor(Content c, publishModes CanPublish, String Id) +1057

umbraco.cms.presentation.editContent.OnInit(EventArgs e) +404

System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +142

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1476

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.4927; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4927

if anyone can point me in the right direction i would be most grateful

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Mar 02, 2010 @ 17:30
    Douglas Robar

That's really strange! The index should have nothing to do with your site beyond possibly make the search work or not. But let's not panic...

Delete all the files in the /data/_systemUmbracoIndexDontDelete folder. Those are the lucene index files. Does your site work now? If so, go to /umbraco/reindex.aspx and reindex your site (this can take a long time; be patient). Does the site still work? Hope so.

Now, if the index is not truly related to the problem let's try the other items that can cause weird problems...

1. Triple-check your file permissions. Honestly.

2. Unpublish and then re-publish the pages on your site (right-click the home page and select the publish menu; NOT the 'republish entire site' from the Content node itself because they do different things and the republish entire site won't do what you need)

Let us know what you find out.

cheers,
    doug.

• Fergus Davidson 309 posts 588 karma points
    Mar 02, 2010 @ 20:27
    Fergus Davidson

right, i am afraid i ignored your first piece of advice and panicked quite a lot.

i them reindexed, no joy

iisreset, no joy

reindex again, still no joy.

the problem was in the CMS/back-end. every node i clicked on that used a template that was the default or a child thereof resulted in an error, the front-end site worked fine.

some of the non-site configuration data in other node trees, without templates worked ok.

i had come to the concluson that it was a datatype that i had deleted that was being used still, and i packed up, went home and had dinner. i was now preparing to go through and try and work out what was what, and IT ALL WORKS!!

now i am pleased, of course, but without knowing what happened i am not particularly happy. Has anyone else experienced this?

i am going to carry on regardless, with the usual backups, but if it happens again and i find out what it was i will let you know.

watch this space...

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Mar 03, 2010 @ 00:58
    Douglas Robar

Glad the site is working, though like you it would be nice to know what happened to break it and (more importantly) what made it come back to life. Good to hear you have backups of the db and files... just in case :)

You're right that deleting a datatype that is in use is a bad idea.

You might look at the umbracoLog table in the database... might give you some errors or warnings that could point you in a useful direction. Or the server's event log if you have access to it.

Keep us posted.

cheers,
    doug.

• Cornelia 31 posts 53 karma points
    Dec 23, 2010 @ 09:04
    Cornelia

Hi all

I just had the same problem:
    I received the error: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." when I opened a content node in the backend.

My solution was recycling the Application Pool of the website.

Have a nice day.
    Cornelia

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft