Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stephen Kiers 41 posts 62 karma points
    Mar 10, 2010 @ 19:41
    Stephen Kiers

Can Umbraco Do This?

The IT company I am working for is responding to a RFP for a CMS for a municipality website. I am presenting Umbraco Pro with 1 year support as an option, but there are a few areas of the RFP that I am not sure Umbraco can do. If someone can respond, that'd be great. The RFP is over 30 pages so I will only ask about things I am not already familiar with.

7.15  : What limits, if any are there on the number of objects supported? Number of Users?

7.16 : Does umbraco support load balancing servers and cluster servers?

9.23 : Does umbraco support content versioning and rollback? SVN?

9.28 : Can site admin adn editors search for pages that have not been updated in 'x' number of day, weeks, months?

9.39 : Can you export content elements from one page for use on another page or in another site?

9.41 : Is there a utility/tool for checking and repairing broken internal and external links?

10.48 : Does umbraco have the ability to atchive content in a seperate data repository? Can archived content that is no longer on teh production website be searched and retrieved for display on live site?

12.8 : Does Umbraco allow the bulk import of existing web pages and assets into it?

15.2 : What server hardware requirements are required for a successful launch?

Thanks

• Lee 1130 posts 3088 karma points
    Mar 10, 2010 @ 19:55
    Lee

By looking at your list you shouldn't have any problems using umbraco, but what you have to remember is if its not there out the box - Its pretty easy to add the things you need into the front or backend

Have a look at some of these packages to name a few... And tick off items on your list

Also you can do load balancing with Umbraco - The likes of Wired, GQ etc,,, are all load balanced.  And if it can support those size of sites and being used to power the new asp.net site I think it should easily suit your companies needs.

As for hardware, with the release of 4.1 shortly with Medium Trust capability - You can just sign up for a basic hosting account with SQL Express and you'll be well away :)

• Lee 1130 posts 3088 karma points
    Mar 10, 2010 @ 19:57
    Lee

ooops I meant to put this link up for the broken link checking

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/broken-link-checker

• Paul Sterling 718 posts 1534 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Mar 10, 2010 @ 21:52
    Paul Sterling

7.15  : What limits, if any are there on the number of objects supported? Number of Users?
    >> the theoretical limit is about 300,000 content nodes, 1,000's of users (backend), and unlimited members (front-end), but there are several common approaches if you'll have more than 300,000 'pages' or millions of other content (comments perhaps)

7.16 : Does umbraco support load balancing servers and cluster servers?
    >> yes, super easy to implement and we have a step-by-step tutorial video

9.23 : Does umbraco support content versioning and rollback? SVN?
    >> yes, every content node is fully versioned, your solution can be easily added to you SVN repository as all source is available

9.28 : Can site admin adn editors search for pages that have not been updated in 'x' number of day, weeks, months?
    >> not built in, but is a trivial task to extend the existing content dashboard

9.39 : Can you export content elements from one page for use on another page or in another site?
    >> yes, content sharing is straight-forward

9.41 : Is there a utility/tool for checking and repairing broken internal and external links?
    >> yes http://our.umbraco.org/projects/broken-link-checker

10.48 : Does umbraco have the ability to atchive content in a seperate data repository? Can archived content that is no longer on teh production website be searched and retrieved for display on live site?
    >>yes, this is a common scenario though your implementation will be custom

12.8 : Does Umbraco allow the bulk import of existing web pages and assets into it?
    >>yes, this package, and many others:  http://our.umbraco.org/projects/tag/import#projectList

15.2 : What server hardware requirements are required for a successful launch?
    >> recommended:  Win2008 64-bit, IIS7, MS SQL - specific hardware depends on your expected load and volume, but umbraco is a 'light' consumer of system resources

Mar 10, 2010 @ 23:00
    Stephen Kiers

Appreciated.  I will work these into our proposal, and if I have any other questions come up I will ensure to get in contact with you guys.

Thanks again!

Mar 24, 2010 @ 16:34
    Stephen Kiers

Lots more questions that have come up and I don't know; or don't know well enough.

I am hoping that people other than me glen useful information from these answers as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------

1. Does your technology architecture include a RunTime application server for processing real time queries and content transformations?
    2. Does your technology architecture include a replication service for replicating content to multiple servers?
      This is load balancing, right?
    3. Describe the base data model for your product.
    4. Outline the open standards (e.g. LDAP, XML, XSLT, etc.) that are supported by your product. Describe how your product uses them.
      What other standards, if any, are used. Where can I find a list?
    5. Describe the future directions for your product? For example, if there are plans for new features, integration with other products or modules, a shift in technologies and the like, please describe them.
      Anything big in the works I should mention?
    6. Identify proprietary and non-standard components of your product.
      Umbraco is the only CMS I have ever used; I am clueless
    7. Describe the performance characteristics of your product.
    8. When is the next scheduled major release of your product? What is your maintenance release schedule?
    9. Describe your release notification and delivery process.
    10. How are customer feature requests incorporated into your product development process?
      Should I mention packages here? I asume so.
    11. Does your product have a built-in spell checker?
      Are there packages that do this?
    12. Does your product allow copy and pasting from Microsoft Word, Excel and other office applications? Does your product offer the option of stripping-out Microsoft formatting?
      Does it strip out?
    13. Can your product import content from HTML editors and recognize HTML formatting tags within text content type? Explain.
    14. Does your product offer ability to accept subscriptions?
      Is this a trick question? I think RSS when they say this; but is this programming lingo I am unaware of.

Courier Questions

1. Can the workflow be extended through scripted events or through the product API?  Describe.
      Can I set it to push things live every night? etc...
    2. How are users notified of workflow assignments? Are notifications customizable? How do users track their tasks and assignments within the CMS?
    3. We would like the ability to attach notes to content items within the workflow, and for these notes to remain until final submission. How does your product support reviewers’ comments or notes?
    4. Does the product offer “red-lining” to view content changes and approve or reject previous drafts?
      Does it have ability to do this?
    5. Does the product offer inbox capabilities for each workflow recipient to organize and prioritize the items in the work queue while providing status on each work item?
      Could this be created for dashboard?

Thanks for now guys. It sucks that I, the designer, am preparing this response. Most of these questions I know, but not thoroughly.

I really appreciate the help.  All this research has made me REALLY interested in the Umbraco add-ons; courier, etc....

Steve

Mar 24, 2010 @ 21:41
    Stephen Kiers

I moved it to a new question; since this one is marked as solved....

Mar 24, 2010 @ 21:43
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft