Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stephen Kiers 41 posts 62 karma points
    Mar 24, 2010 @ 21:42
    Stephen Kiers

Can Umbraco Do This? pt 2

Follow up to http://our.umbraco.org/forum/core/general/7759-Can-Umbraco-Do-This

Lots more questions that have come up and I don't know; or don't know well enough.

I am hoping that people other than me glen useful information from these answers as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------

1. Does your technology architecture include a RunTime application server for processing real time queries and content transformations?
    2. Does your technology architecture include a replication service for replicating content to multiple servers?
      This is load balancing, right?
    3. Describe the base data model for your product.
    4. Outline the open standards (e.g. LDAP, XML, XSLT, etc.) that are supported by your product. Describe how your product uses them.
      What other standards, if any, are used. Where can I find a list?
    5. Describe the future directions for your product? For example, if there are plans for new features, integration with other products or modules, a shift in technologies and the like, please describe them.
      Anything big in the works I should mention?
    6. Identify proprietary and non-standard components of your product.
      Umbraco is the only CMS I have ever used; I am clueless
    7. Describe the performance characteristics of your product.
    8. When is the next scheduled major release of your product? What is your maintenance release schedule?
    9. Describe your release notification and delivery process.
    10. How are customer feature requests incorporated into your product development process?
      Should I mention packages here? I asume so.
    11. Does your product have a built-in spell checker?
      Are there packages that do this?
    12. Does your product allow copy and pasting from Microsoft Word, Excel and other office applications? Does your product offer the option of stripping-out Microsoft formatting?
      Does it strip out?
    13. Can your product import content from HTML editors and recognize HTML formatting tags within text content type? Explain.
    14. Does your product offer ability to accept subscriptions?
      Is this a trick question? I think RSS when they say this; but is this programming lingo I am unaware of.

Courier Questions

1. Can the workflow be extended through scripted events or through the product API?  Describe.
      Can I set it to push things live every night? etc...
    2. How are users notified of workflow assignments? Are notifications customizable? How do users track their tasks and assignments within the CMS?
    3. We would like the ability to attach notes to content items within the workflow, and for these notes to remain until final submission. How does your product support reviewers’ comments or notes?
    4. Does the product offer “red-lining” to view content changes and approve or reject previous drafts?
      Does it have ability to do this?
    5. Does the product offer inbox capabilities for each workflow recipient to organize and prioritize the items in the work queue while providing status on each work item?
      Could this be created for dashboard?

Thanks for now guys. It sucks that I, the designer, am preparing this response. Most of these questions I know, but not thoroughly.

I really appreciate the help.  All this research has made me REALLY interested in the Umbraco add-ons; courier, etc....

Steve

• vvsupport 20 posts 39 karma points
    Mar 26, 2010 @ 14:07
    vvsupport

I am in the same situation of Steve, I am  working  for a local government and I been evaluating umbraco for a while. At this point I have similar questions than Steve and also I want to understand how I keep sync between production and development, in production the users works daily updating content and in development we work adding features; so how I keep my dev sync with production and production sync with dev.?

I really like umbraco and I want to move to pro version. 

Thank you.

vvsupport.

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Mar 26, 2010 @ 15:32
    jaygreasley

pro version would give you the tools (Courier) to move content between staging and live.

hth

jay

• vvsupport 20 posts 39 karma points
    Mar 26, 2010 @ 17:53
    vvsupport

Well, is clear that courier works one way, but what about round trip? thats the real issue.

• Paul Sterling 718 posts 1534 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Mar 29, 2010 @ 22:33
    Paul Sterling

Stephan -

Hope this helps:

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} /* List Definitions */ @list l0 {mso-list-id:366025646; mso-list-template-ids:1072482244;} @list l1 {mso-list-id:1940750072; mso-list-template-ids:1777992300;} ol {margin-bottom:0in;} ul {margin-bottom:0in;} -->

1. Does your technology architecture include a RunTime application server for processing real time queries and content transformations?
      1. Yes, the MSXML parser for XSLT and the .NET CLR for .NET
    2. Does your technology architecture include a replication service for replicating content to multiple servers?
      This is load balancing, right?
      1. Yes, full support for load balancing
    3. Describe the base data model for your product.
      1. Simple SQL schema, no stored procedures or proprietary data types
    4. Outline the open standards (e.g. LDAP, XML, XSLT, etc.) that are supported by your product. Describe how your product uses them.
      What other standards, if any, are used. Where can I find a list?
      1. No proprietary dependencies.  If you can be more specific we can answer more directly.
    5. Describe the future directions for your product? For example, if there are plans for new features, integration with other products or modules, a shift in technologies and the like, please describe them.
      Anything big in the works I should mention?
      1. Version 5 will be based on ASP.NET MVC
    6. Identify proprietary and non-standard components of your product.
      Umbraco is the only CMS I have ever used; I am clueless
      1. None
    7. Describe the performance characteristics of your product.
      1. In what regard?  Umbraco performs very well up to 300k content nodes but can be architected to perform very well far beyond these numbers.  The back-end performance is very good with version 4.1 and later, good with version 4.0
    8. When is the next scheduled major release of your product? What is your maintenance release schedule?
      1. 4.1 released this Spring, 5.0 release in early 2011
    9. Describe your release notification and delivery process.
      1. Community notice, email, promotion on MS Web PI and Web App Gallery, Codeplex default release set to current
    10. How are customer feature requests incorporated into your product development process?
      Should I mention packages here? I asume so.
      1. Democratically by number of votes on Codeplex – we do prioritize bug fixes over features
    11. Does your product have a built-in spell checker?
      Are there packages that do this?
      1. Yes, with 4.1
    12. Does your product allow copy and pasting from Microsoft Word, Excel and other office applications? Does your product offer the option of stripping-out Microsoft formatting?
      Does it strip out?
      1. Yes, we use TidyHtml to strip MSO inline styles
    13. Can your product import content from HTML editors and recognize HTML formatting tags within text content type? Explain.
      1. Yes, HTML can be taken as-is – no markup is added or changed
    14. Does your product offer ability to accept subscriptions?
      Is this a trick question? I think RSS when they say this; but is this programming lingo I am unaware of.

Courier Questions

1. Can the workflow be extended through scripted events or through the product API?  Describe.
      Can I set it to push things live every night? etc...
      1. Via scheduled tasks you can automate, using Events and the API there is no limit to the extendibility
    2. How are users notified of workflow assignments? Are notifications customizable? How do users track their tasks and assignments within the CMS?
      1. Via an email by default, can be easily changed and customized.  A content management dashboard is frequently used to allow users a ‘1-page’ view.
    3. We would like the ability to attach notes to content items within the workflow, and for these notes to remain until final submission. How does your product support reviewers’ comments or notes?
      1. Can be added via an Event handler and custom dashboard.
    4. Does the product offer “red-lining” to view content changes and approve or reject previous drafts?
      1. Yes, plus full rollback
        Does it have ability to do this?
    5. Does the product offer inbox capabilities for each workflow recipient to organize and prioritize the items in the work queue while providing status on each work item?
      Could this be created for dashboard?
      1. No, but can be customized using Events

-Paul

• Paul Sterling 718 posts 1534 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Mar 29, 2010 @ 22:34
    Paul Sterling

....oh, sorry about the Mso styling above, that is so nasty looking...

• Stephen Kiers 41 posts 62 karma points
    Mar 29, 2010 @ 22:45
    Stephen Kiers

Again Thank you so much.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft