Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Daniel Draper 36 posts 57 karma points
    Apr 13, 2010 @ 06:42
    Daniel Draper

Umbraco causing application pool to crash

Below is the required information, I have been unable to pin-point the exact problem or which application is causing it as I am running 5 applications in the same pool for development purposes.

Urgent help would be great as this seems to crash the application pool daily, even though it is a development pool only this will not be an acceptable performance issue for production.

Umbraco Version:    4.0.3
    ASP.NET Version: 3.0
    Windows Version: Microsoft Windows Server 2003
    IIS Version: 6.0
    Event Type:    Error
    Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0

Description: An unhandled exception occurred and the process was terminated.

Exception: System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException
    Message: Type 'umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelperException' in Assembly 'umbraco.DataLayer, Version=0.3.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' is not marked as serializable.

StackTrace: at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.WriteObjectInfo.InitSerialize(Object obj, ISurrogateSelector surrogateSelector, StreamingContext context, SerObjectInfoInit serObjectInfoInit, IFormatterConverter converter, ObjectWriter objectWriter)
    at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.WriteObjectInfo.Serialize(Object obj, ISurrogateSelector surrogateSelector, StreamingContext context, SerObjectInfoInit serObjectInfoInit, IFormatterConverter converter, ObjectWriter objectWriter)
    at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectWriter.Serialize(Object graph, Header[] inHeaders, __BinaryWriter serWriter, Boolean fCheck)
    at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Serialize(Stream serializationStream, Object graph, Header[] headers, Boolean fCheck)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.CrossAppDomainSerializer.SerializeObject(Object obj, MemoryStream stm)
    at System.AppDomain.Serialize(Object o)
    at System.AppDomain.MarshalObject(Object o)

Cheers, Daniel

• Anders Burla 2560 posts 8256 karma points
    Apr 13, 2010 @ 08:10
    Anders Burla

Hi Daniel,

I dont know the solution to your problem but a good idea is always to run each website in its own application pool. So if it crashes or need more resources your can control the specific app pool. Hope someone else can help you with your problem.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Apr 13, 2010 @ 08:24
    Aaron Powell

Most likely the problem is caused by Umbraco not being able to access the specified SQL server. Umbraco will get itself into an infinite loop and crash the app pool.

I believe this is fixed in Umbraco 4.1.

Only other possibility is that your /config/umbracoSettings.config file isn't valid XML, but I think in that case it fails with a different error.

• organic 108 posts 157 karma points
    Oct 26, 2010 @ 22:03
    organic

I'm having the same problem.  Can anyone confirm that upgrading Umbraco will solve this? To latest version 4.5.2? I've been running my 1st production umbraco site on v 4.0.4.1 for a few months and have noticed that every couple of weeks lately the 'app pool' stops and I'm not even aware of it.  Based on comments above I'm guessing that the DB briefly becomes unavailable for some reason, but long enough to crash the site.  This is surprising, but obviously my connection string is correct if the site is usually running fine.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 00:53
    Aaron Powell

Yes, we fixed it in 4.5.0 to not bring down the app pool on the several instance outlined here.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft