Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Simon Dingley 1470 posts 3427 karma points c-trib
    May 05, 2010 @ 07:43
    Simon Dingley

Member Login Stopped Working

All of a sudden a site that I maintain has stopped allowing members to login to the front end of the website. The page has a standard login control and was working fine with no recent updates, now when you attempt to login to the restricted area of the site the page just refreshes. I have checked the logs and see nothing in there related and as no exceptions are being thrown I am a bit stumped as to where the issue is.

Any ideas appreciated.

The site is running on 4.0.2.1

May 05, 2010 @ 07:46
    Simon Dingley

If it helps pinpoint the problem , I have just found this thread which led me to check the trace and I have the same issue "No member with loginname exists", I am using Role based protection on the node...

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/api-questions/4629-No-member-with-loginname--Exists---In-IIS7

May 05, 2010 @ 08:07
    Simon Dingley

Here is a relevant part of the trace:

umbracoRequestHandler Access checking started 0.00031177 0.000076
    umbracoRequestHandler Page protected 0.00036814 0.000056
      No member with loginname:  Exists 0.00183501 0.001467
    umbracoRequestHandler Not logged in - redirecting to login page... 0.00190297 0.000068

I have made the change in the web.config:

<modules runAllManagedModulesForAllRequests="true">

As advised here http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/api-questions/4207-Member-login-won't-work?p=1

and still no luck.

May 06, 2010 @ 07:47
    Simon Dingley

Sorry to bump this up but in case it was missed does anyone have an further ideas? Currently stuck with a site that has 3000+ members and no access to the members area.

• Harald Ulriksen 207 posts 249 karma points
    May 06, 2010 @ 08:09
    Harald Ulriksen

Hi there,

I've had a quick look in the source code and it seems the member name is sent in as blank.

HttpContext.Current.Trace.Warn("No member with loginname: " + loginName + " Exists");

Any chance you could make a copy of it and replicate the problem on your own machine?  As this message is only printed two places in the application it should be fairly easy to figure out if you can attach a debugger one way or another.  

May 09, 2010 @ 18:01
    Simon Dingley

Thanks for the pointer, I am establishing an exact copy of the site on my local machine and hopefully the issue will be replicated. I will let you know how I get on.

• Chris Houston 535 posts 980 karma points MVP admin c-trib
    May 09, 2010 @ 19:47
    Chris Houston

Hi Simon,

Is this login page publicly accessible? If so, let us know what the URL is so we can do a view source and check your form is ok. Also do the Umbraco debug switches currently work on the live site?

Cheers,

Chris

May 09, 2010 @ 21:16
    Simon Dingley

Update: The issue does not occur locally and as nothing had changed on the site when this happened I can only think that something had changed on the server perhaps as part of a security update. Chris I can send you the login page via twitter as I don't want to get the url indexed in the forum post and will enable debug mode.

May 09, 2010 @ 22:01
    Simon Dingley

Update: An upgrade to 4.0.3 made no difference. Confusingly what I have found is that if the "Remember Me" box is not ticked I am able to login, but to confuse issues further if the "Remember Me" box is removed from the page the problem returns so I think there is a deeper issue here. I would appreciate hearing from anyone else that uses member protected pages on their v4.0.x site on IIS7 and if they have similar problems.

• Ben Liyanage 11 posts 32 karma points
    Jun 01, 2010 @ 18:17
    Ben Liyanage

Hey--have you figured out this issue yet?  I am having the same problem.

Jun 09, 2010 @ 11:35
    Simon Dingley

I think what it came down to in the end was actually the following section of the web.config that by default looks like this:

<authentication mode="Forms">
          <forms name="yourAuthCookie" loginUrl="login.aspx" protection="All" path="/" />
        </authentication>

I modified it to how it was before the upgrade:

<authentication mode="Forms">
          <forms loginUrl="login.aspx" protection="All" path="/" timeout="44000" slidingExpiration="true" />
        </authentication>

I also recall having to first manually remove any existing cookies from my machine that related to this site and then with the web.config change I was able to login again.

Hopefully this is of some help to you.

• Christer Josefsson 55 posts 93 karma points
    Apr 27, 2011 @ 09:36
    Christer Josefsson

Any solution to this yet, tried everything described here and at related posts

Apr 27, 2011 @ 09:37
    Christer Josefsson

I get the same, No member with loginname:  Exists error message

Apr 27, 2011 @ 09:39
    Christer Josefsson

I wonder how this error suddenly can appear from out of nowhere...

Apr 27, 2011 @ 11:18
    Christer Josefsson

Anybody?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft