Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Hywel Bromby 33 posts 63 karma points
    May 07, 2010 @ 16:30
    Hywel Bromby

Multiple sites using subdomains

Hi,

I am basically looking to run a number of similar sites under the same install of umbraco using different subdomains. e.g.

basketball.mysport.co.uk

netnall.mysport.co.uk

football.mysport.co.uk

Each site will use a very similar set of templates and document types, but will look different and will contain different data.

Does this sound possible?

Could someone please walk me through setting up seperate sites using subdomains?

Currently i have used the "map domain" feature to map each sumdomain to a single default page, this page then forwars them onto a page on the root url (mysport.co.uk/football.aspx, mysport.co.uk/basketball.co.uk etc) which is not ideal as page name clashes are possible.

Alternatively is there anyway to do the say thing using folder structures?

e.g

mysport.co.uk/basketball/defult.aspx

mysport.co.uk/netball/default.aspx

Thanks in advance for any help - I need it :)

Hywel

• Chris Dunn 210 posts 401 karma points
    May 07, 2010 @ 17:05
    Chris Dunn

Hywel,

You should take a look at the Manage Hostnames Feature of umbraco to create multiple root level sites (one for each subdomain).  You can share the templates and document types across all sites, and simply change out the style sheet(s) applied to the template based upon the subdomain your using.   Maybe set a "theme" property on the root document type to determine the style sheet applied.

If they are very similar layouts and types of data this is probably the best way to keep things simple but still allow customization.

You can then create a separate tree structure under each sub-domain site with it's own pages..etc.

Brief intro to manage hostnames...http://umbraco.org/documentation/books/running-multiple-websites-on-one-umbraco-installation-(1)/setting-up-umbraco

-Chris

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft