Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter S 169 posts 587 karma points
    May 19, 2010 @ 17:07
    Peter S

Error message when installing package

I tried to install a local package and get this error message:

Could not upload file
    System.Exception: Error unpacking extension... ---> System.Xml.XmlException: Invalid character in the given encoding. Line 1, position 38. at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String arg) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Int32 pos, String res) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.InvalidCharRecovery(Int32& bytesCount, Int32& charsCount) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.GetChars(Int32 maxCharsCount) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ReadData() at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent() at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read() at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace) at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader) at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(String filename) at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.packager.Installer.LoadConfig(String tempDir) at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.packager.Installer.Import(String InputFile) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.packager.Installer.Import(String InputFile) at umbraco.presentation.developer.packages.Installer.uploadFile(Object sender, EventArgs e)

Any ideas to what could be causing this?

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    May 19, 2010 @ 19:10
    Stefan Kip

Well, looks like the XML in the package is invalid.

Can you open the package with winzip or winrar and post the XML in the XML file here?

May 19, 2010 @ 21:06
    Peter S

I doubt it's an error in the XML since I've tried three different packages. :/ Here's the XML from one of them.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
    <umbPackage>
      <files>
        <file>
          <guid>GoogleSiteTree.xslt</guid>
          <orgPath>/xslt</orgPath>
          <orgName>GoogleSiteTree.xslt</orgName>
        </file>
      </files>
      <info>
        <package>
          <name>GoogleSiteTree</name>
          <version>0.0002</version>
          <license url="http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php">MIT license</license>
          <url>http://www.jesper.com</url>;
          <requirements>
            <major>3</major>
            <minor>0</minor>
            <patch>0</patch>
          </requirements>
        </package>
        <author>
          <name>Jesper Ordrup</name>
          <website>http://www.jesper.com</website>;
        </author>
        <readme><![CDATA[Text from Google Webmaster tools:
    "Sitemaps are a way to tell Google about pages on your site we might not otherwise discover. In its simplest terms, a XML Sitemap"

See more here: 
    http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=156184

What it does:
    - creates a template "GoogleSiteTree"
    - adds a macro to the template. The macro creates the xml content
    - no parameters :-) just edit the xml file.
    - it obeys umbracoNaviHide

Installation:

1) Install Package
    2) Create a new master template and add macro to the content area. 
    3) Remove all line breaks (not sure if it's needed)
    4) Test if it works by accessing http://yourdomain.com/GoogleSiteTree.aspx
    5) Notice if any of the entries shouldnt be in the sitetree. 
    6) Submit it to your webmaster tool's account at http://google.com/webmasters
    7) Return and check if it worked.

Good luck.

/Jesper]]></readme>
      </info>
      <DocumentTypes />
      <Templates>
        <Template>
          <Name>GoogleSiteTree</Name>
          <Alias>GoogleSiteTree</Alias>
          <Design><![CDATA[<%@ Master Language="C#" MasterPageFile="/umbraco/masterpages/default.master" AutoEventWireup="true" %><asp:Content ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolderDefault" runat="server"><umbraco:Macro Alias="GoogleSiteTree" runat="server"></umbraco:Macro>
    </asp:Content>]]></Design>
        </Template>
      </Templates>
      <Stylesheets />
      <Macros>
        <macro>
          <name>GoogleSiteTree</name>
          <alias>GoogleSiteTree</alias>
          <scriptType>
          </scriptType>
          <scriptAssembly>
          </scriptAssembly>
          <xslt>GoogleSiteTree.xslt</xslt>
          <useInEditor>False</useInEditor>
          <refreshRate>0</refreshRate>
          <properties />
        </macro>
      </Macros>
      <DictionaryItems />
      <Languages />
      <DataTypes />
    </umbPackage>
  • Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    May 19, 2010 @ 21:59
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Might be a permissions problem. Have you double (triple!) checked the permissions? On the dev machine I usually just give the Application Pool user write permissions to everything in my project's directory.

May 19, 2010 @ 22:23
    Peter S

Is that the IIS_User? Or what's it called?

May 19, 2010 @ 22:28
    Sebastiaan Janssen

That really depends on your IIS configuration. Go to your application pool in IIS and you can check which user it runs as. I alway reset it to Network Service to make things a bit easier.

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    May 19, 2010 @ 23:33
    Stefan Kip

Normally it would be enough to give "IIS_IUSRS" permissions :)

May 20, 2010 @ 15:00
    Peter S

The application pool uses the identity NetworkService and it has full permission on the entire wwwroot. Same thing with the IIS_IUSRS. Any other ideas?

May 20, 2010 @ 15:05
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Oh wait, I think I had this once.. Are you running in integrated pipeline but without upgrading to the .net 3.5 web.config (or vice versa, you've upgraded the .config but forgot to switch to integrated pipeline)?

May 20, 2010 @ 19:40
    Peter S

It was set to Classic but changing it to Integrated causes the site to now load. I get a 500. Could an upgrade to .net 3.5 of the web.config file be a solution? Do you know the necessary changes needs to be done? Perhaps you answer before I Google it... :)

May 21, 2010 @ 08:27
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I just download the new web.config from Codeplex and do a merge with winmerge to figure out the chances, there's a lot of them. :-)

If you have not added anything on your own to the web.config, just replace yours and go to yoursite.com/install to run the install wizard again. Umbraco will not overwrite your current database or change any files that you have already changed.

May 21, 2010 @ 09:44
    Peter S

I haven't made any changes to web.config yet so I ran the installer but no luck there. It even told me that the permission settings were "perfect". I tried downloading the web.config from Codeplex and indeed, there were a lot of things that needed to be changed. I only kept the parts on umbraco version, the membership providers and the IIS settings. Still no luck though! I've tried both classic and integrated mode and still get the same error message when I try to install local packages. :/

May 28, 2010 @ 23:25
    Peter S

I found out what the problem was. Like I said, I run OS X which has the feature of of unpacking zip-files ones you download them. I thought just compressing them would do the trick but it looks like umbraco can't install packages compressed by os x. Once I downloaded the zip files in my virtual windows server machine that hosts my developing environment and installed it there it worked just fine. Better keep that in mind in the future!

Thanks for your efforts trying to solve this one for me. I appreciate it!

• Filip Witkowski 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jun 10, 2013 @ 19:22
    Filip Witkowski

I've got the same problem and there is no xml file in any of the examine.zip versions.

I have tried to install it on different instances and different versions of Umbraco. Everywhere I have the same error:

System.Exception: Error unpacking extension... ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'e:\umbraco\careers-cvs-admin-qa-tmp-cms-com\App_Data\bdfae707-f6a1-45b3-b8ed-c872013a72d7\package.xml'. at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath) at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize) at System.Xml.XmlDownloadManager.GetStream(Uri uri, ICredentials credentials, IWebProxy proxy, RequestCachePolicy cachePolicy) at System.Xml.XmlUrlResolver.GetEntity(Uri absoluteUri, String role, Type ofObjectToReturn) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.OpenUrlDelegate(Object xmlResolver) at System.Threading.CompressedStack.runTryCode(Object userData) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData) at System.Threading.CompressedStack.Run(CompressedStack compressedStack, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.OpenUrl() at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read() at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace) at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader) at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(String filename) at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.packager.Installer.LoadConfig(String tempDir) at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.packager.Installer.Import(String InputFile) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.packager.Installer.Import(String InputFile) at umbraco.presentation.developer.packages.Installer.uploadFile(Object sender, EventArgs e) in d:\Dropbox\Dev\UmbracoSource_v4\src\Umbraco.Web\umbraco.presentation\umbraco\developer\Packages\installer.aspx.cs:line 105

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft