Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jonathan Lathigee 56 posts 99 karma points
    Jun 02, 2010 @ 18:28
    Jonathan Lathigee

Umbraco and Document Libraries

I have been evaluating umbraco as a potential framework for our fairly large (10,000+ html docs, 20,000+ pdfs in document library) corporate website. I have a few lingering questions about umbraco and its suitability for us. I'll break them out into a few separate threads.

Document Library

We have approximately 20,000 documents in our document library (minutes, agendas, bylaws, etc) that are curently processed by a Net-it Central installation (users provide word docs via intranet, Net-It converts to pdf, generates index file, and transfers PDFs to web site). I'm wondering if / how I might be able to work with this in umbraco.The current output (and desired future output) is to provide a navigable structure of folders and subfolders, eventually geting you to a document. eg: Minutes>Arts Committee>2010>2010-05-12 - May 12, 2010 Arts Committee Minutes(pointing to /minutes/artscommittee/2010/2010artsminutesmay12/2010_ArtsMinutes_May12.pdf)

After processing, Net-it produces an index file of the documents *on a per folder basis*, and this file can be totally customized (ie we can create an XML listing of the documents). Would this allow us to build a navigable library and, if so, could someone please just give a few thoughts.

Thanks in advance

Jonathan

• Richard Walters 14 posts 51 karma points
    Jun 07, 2010 @ 23:05
    Richard Walters

Jonathan,

If I understand correctly, then you could certainly integrate the listings in these XML directories into Umbraco pages.

There might be a way to do so using Umbraco's XSLT and feeding the macro the location of a starting directory as a parameter… but my inclination would be to build a .NET user control that 'knows' where the root Net-It output directory is, and can tell from other variables (macro params, query string args, etc.) which directory it's supposed to drill down to, which XML file to pick up and parse, and therefore which list of docs to display.

There are still a lot of unknowns in your description, so forgive if I'm way off base with my suggestions. And of course, remember that if .NET isn't your core programming competency (it is mine), you can also extend Umbraco with Python or PHP.

Rick

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft