Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jonathan Lathigee 56 posts 99 karma points
    Jun 02, 2010 @ 18:38
    Jonathan Lathigee

Umbraco and Future Portability

I have been evaluating umbraco as a potential framework for our fairly large (10,000+ html docs, 20,000+ pdfs in document library) corporate website. I have a few lingering questions about umbraco and its suitability for us. I'll break them out into a few separate threads.

Data Portability

Just wondering if there has been any discussion / does anyone have any thoughts on data portability and umbraco. Best case, we would adopt umbraco, never look back, and it would suit our needs for the next 100 years... More realistically (maybe pessimistically), 3-5 years from now someone considers moving to something else and wants to migrate all of our content. I am curious about what the implications of such a decision would be.

One apparent issue would be that all of the content is divorced from a folder structure. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance

Jonathan

• Chris Dunn 210 posts 401 karma points
    Jun 02, 2010 @ 19:13
    Chris Dunn

By using the API you can both import and export content from umbraco.  You can also look through the complete node tree so that the parent/child structure can be carried to your new cms (if you choose to move).  So basicially you can export the folder structure.

-Chris

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft