Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• sauritas 37 posts 57 karma points
    Jun 03, 2010 @ 17:27
    sauritas

Existing database connection & webservices

Hi all!

I'm new in this world of umbraco and I think I'm in the right place to solve my problems... So, here I am!

I have an existing and running web aplication and I would like to use Umbraco CMS because i think it's better to update my web.

I have my own database and my own webservices... and my own existing users in the web... so....I think the first step is to know:

1) ¿Can I use my own database?

2) ¿Can I use my own webservices?

3) ¿Could existing users log in the web?

4) ¿Can I reuse all my code?

I would aprecciate if someone could help me... cause I'm a bit lost :(

Thanks!!!!

• Richard Walters 14 posts 51 karma points
    Jun 07, 2010 @ 22:56
    Richard Walters

In order:

1) Yes, you could use your own database, but Umbraco has all of its own tables, etc., so it would be co-existing in the same db with your current data. Bad things might happen during installation if you coincidentally had structures with the same name. Or, if what you mean is "can I use my existing database to populate the content in Umbraco?", then no, not easily (it would sort of defeat the purpose of using Umbraco). Or, if what you mean is that you have existing data of a special kind (e.g., I have one Umbraco install with an extensive database of competition results; another with a large db of event information), then yes. One of my favourite things about Umbraco is the ability to extend it with ASP.NET user controls which can, of course, do anything you can imagine.

2) I've had very good success with this. Because of its architecture and the way it handles page requests, Umbraco really doesn't like non-Umbraco ".aspx" pages in its directories. ".Asmx" web service files seem to be quite fine, though.

3) That's a tricky one. If you have only a small number of users and limited programming skill, then your best bet would probably be to transfer your existing users' information into Umbraco, and let it handle things from there. If, on the other hand, you have many users and are an experienced .NET programmer, you can write your own Role- and MembershipProviders for Umbraco. (I've done this, and it works seamlessly… more to love about Umbraco.)

4) Naturally, that's a difficult question to answer, since none of us here knows what your existing code contains. However, as I mentioned in point #1, the ability to embed full-fledged .NET user controls in master pages and individual pages means that you can extend Umbraco to do anything. How straightforward that will be in your case will depend hugely on how your current code is structured, and therefore how much refactoring you would have to do to make it all work.

Hope that's helpful!

• sauritas 37 posts 57 karma points
    Jun 15, 2010 @ 13:13
    sauritas

Thanks for the answer Richard!!! I'll keep trying and reading about what you told me in Forum and Wiki.

Hope to get thing go ok... someday....

Thanks very much for your help!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft