Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Simon Justesen 436 posts 203 karma points
    Jun 14, 2010 @ 23:24
    Simon Justesen

Many languages in one umbraco install?

I know umbraco handles many languages, so I don't expect it to be a problem, but have you ever done a site with 20+ different languages? 
    I'm asking because we're probably soon going to build a site with this amount and would like to avoid any pitfalls, if any at all?

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Jun 15, 2010 @ 10:59
    Douglas Robar

My current maximum is 8 languages and it worked flawlessly.

The big issue is not with umbraco itself but managing all the languages. You'll probably want to use a pro translation service (which umbraco supports brilliantly!) or at least pre-translate your content and dictionary keys with MS Translate to speed the process if using your own staff as translators.

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/dictionary-translator-for-umbraco

http://umbraco.org/blog/2009/3/25/microsoft-translator-and-umbraco

(no, I don't recommend you publish machine-translated content... it isn't that good. But editing content is easier than writing it so it's a good starting point)

cheers,
    doug.

• Simon Justesen 436 posts 203 karma points
    Jun 15, 2010 @ 12:00
    Simon Justesen

Hi Doug!

Thanks for your input! I think we'll do a prototype and see how that goes along.

Translation is no issue, as it will be handled by a person from each country. Machine-translated content is a no-no :) 

Simon :)

• psiho 101 posts 96 karma points
    Jun 15, 2010 @ 12:34
    psiho

Recently we built our corporate siet on 3 languages but I belive similar concepts apply for any numbert. My 2c is to make sure you use single template file(s) for all languages. Don't be tempted to use different template for different language just to be able to add some langugage.specific differences. Use dictinary and macros for every single letter that changes from language to language. It is obvious for words, but I'm talking about anything, images, parts of source code, anything!

We gave every language it's own root, this way there can be differences in content structure which in practice happens *allways*. I have never seen a website with identical structure for all languages so I suggest givin up on idea to use tabs on nodes for languages. If you have parts that are shared between all languages and you do not want to retype, then put it in separated root (we cal it "DATA") and create macros that access that data. In our example, client's list was shared between all languages so we stored those id DATA node and we access that data through macros.

We used dictionary not just for words but also as config. In example, we created dictionary item "LanguageRootNodeID" and then for every language store root node ID in this dictionary item. Settings likek this are used in macros and templates in a way that there is always a single macro and single template serving all languages. This saves massive amount of time for maintenance and upgrades as you allways need to change just one file. We used dictionary for similar things like conatct forms "to" fields (different for each language),  etc. In time, those distionary config uitems grew so we put them all as childs under "configuration" dictionary item to separate those from regular text and to ease configuration as it is all in one place.

We also used translation services for translation anc lectoring but I must say I did not find translation agency that knows how to use XML export. SO basicaly we gave them permission to save but not publish content, we setup notifications for nodes that are translated... so as soon as something is translated we got email notification where we reviewed it and clicked button to publish it.

That's about all. Following above rules it really does not matter if it is 3 languages or 300 languages. 3 languages fo 100 nodes or 100 languages of 3 nodes is equal stress on server/software and development.

• Thomas.R 39 posts 62 karma points
    Jun 15, 2010 @ 15:58
    Thomas.R

Like psiho said, there can be differences in content structure between languages, so I think duplicating properties in each lang for each document type is not the best way to manage many languages. 

To achieve this, you could simply create a "Home" document type which can contains "Lang" document types (Lang document type represent the homepage of a lang).

You'll have a structure like this : 

• Home
      • fr
        • page1
        • page2
      • en
        • page1
        • page2
      • de
        • page1

With this structure :

• you can have unique content structure in each language
    • you can use the same templates and document types 
    • you can easily find and edit a page 
    • you can easily have URL like http://yourdomain/fr or event map a domain on each lang
    • you can manage user permissions for each language node
    • users edit there pages like they always did
    • contributors can create langs without having technical knowledges
    Then, using XSLT you'll be able to create a site like you've done for a non multi-language site, and you'll just need to change the level of the homepage node :
  • Thomas.R 39 posts 62 karma points
    Jun 20, 2010 @ 13:44
    Thomas.R

You can also refer to this thread

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft