Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter S 64 posts 106 karma points
    Aug 10, 2010 @ 09:32
    Peter S

Advice needed for large volume site

I will be starting development of a new website soon, and would like to have a little advice on how to approach the handeling of a lot of items. Normally I would create a new doctype for a specific item with all it's properties and that will show up nicely in the Umbraco tree. But in this case there will be millions of items of this (and other) doctype so displaying them in the tree isn't really an option.

I was thinking of creating a custom section where these items can be editted, but just don't want all these items to show up in the tree. Is there a way to exclude certain doctypes from showing up in the tree?

• Bogdan 250 posts 427 karma points
    Aug 10, 2010 @ 09:51
    Bogdan

Hi Peter,

I recently made the mistake of thinking that the number of child nodes of a node doesn't matter, as long as I don't open the tree. The advice I got was to not have more than 5000 nodes under a node, to structure them somehow. You can read more here. If you do have a lot of nodes, then, at least in umbraco 4.0.4.2, the performance is very poor. The best idea I got was to use DEWD and a custom table.

Hope this helps!

Aug 10, 2010 @ 10:07
    Peter S

Thanks for the quick reply.

And by poor performace, do you mean in the back-end only, or also on the website itself where the nodes are being displayed?

Aug 10, 2010 @ 10:35
    Bogdan

For showing content I used NodeFactory, so that did work very fast. Creating a node though, with Document.MakeNew started becoming a big problem as the number of child nodes went past 10.000, it now takes over one minute. Probably creating a node in the backend would also take a lot of time.

Aug 10, 2010 @ 15:09
    Peter S

Alright, so that doesn't seem to be a good option. I will probably build that part myself then using custom tables and using Linq to SQL.
    Do you think this (slow performance) will also apply to the UmbracoMembership users?

Aug 10, 2010 @ 15:43
    Bogdan

I'm sorry but I can't really answer this question as I don't know. But the members are spread under alphabet folders, do you think you'll have more than 5k members under one letter?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft