Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Eric 27 posts 49 karma points
    Sep 30, 2010 @ 21:10
    Eric

Dynamically Creating members in 4.5.x

I am trying to create members dynamically and running into a lot of old out of date examples.  What is the correct way in 4.5?

This is what I have so far, but its throught object reference errors.

protected void CreateMember()
            {           
                if (Membership.GetUser(username.Text) == null)
                {
                    MembershipUser newMember = Membership.CreateUser(username.Text, Membership.GeneratePassword(6, 3), emailAddress.Text);

}
    }               

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Oct 01, 2010 @ 00:14
    Aaron Powell

That's the recommended way, can you post the errors

• Eric 27 posts 49 karma points
    Oct 08, 2010 @ 13:53
    Eric

The problem was I wasn't setting the defaultMemberTypeAlias in the web config

<add name="UmbracoMembershipProvider" type="umbraco.providers.members.UmbracoMembershipProvider" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="true" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" defaultMemberTypeAlias="Consumers" passwordFormat="Hashed" />

Here is how I am creating the member, it works, if anyone has another way, let me know. 

if (Membership.GetUser(userName.Text) == null)
            {
                MembershipProvider myProvider = Membership.Providers["UmbracoMembershipProvider"];
                MembershipCreateStatus createStatus;
                MembershipUser newMember = myProvider.CreateUser(userName.Text, confirmPassword.Text, emailAddress.Text, string.Empty, string.Empty, true, string.Empty, out createStatus);

if (createStatus == MembershipCreateStatus.Success)
                {
                    Roles.AddUserToRole(userName.Text, "Consumers");
                    // OTHER CODE

}

}

• Dekker 13 posts 33 karma points
    Oct 08, 2010 @ 16:42
    Dekker

Personally, I'm using the asp:CreateUserWizard control to create my wizard, and it creates the new Member as desired (but does NOT respect the default MemberTypeAlias, and therefore in the CreatedUser event, I have the same line as you to add them to the correct Role. No other registration code, just that one line (the rest is non-registration related)

Roles.AddUserToRole(userName.Text, "Consumers");

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft